Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Old XP PC with a problem (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 16 June 2016 - 08:01 AM

Hello Marieukxx, The only off things that I can see in Speccy would not explain the computer going into power saving mode; Windows UpdateAutoUpdate: Download Automatically and Install at... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• PipPip
  • 73 posts

Hiya,

I wonder if anyone can help with my dad's old PC that runs on XP. It probably has things out of date on like drivers out of date I assume. So basically, for years now he's put up with this problem. When doing certain things the computer suddenly freezes then the monitor goes black and it says it's entering power saving mode. So the monitor goes off like when you switch it off. If you try and switch the monitor back on it won't get out of power saving mode so You have to turn the Pc off using the button on the tower and wait for it to all load up fresh.

I have noticed it do this a lot when He opens his stupid old AOL browser. He insits on keeping that old hunk of junk on there and only using that. I put firefox on for him but he doesn't like it. I also noticed it happen when I downloaded Superantispyware and tried to install it. Then I got it installed but then it did it again when I tried to update it. I finally did get it updated in the end. It just happens randomly. The computer freezes then the monitor goes into power saving mode.

Like I said I doubt anything is up to date. dad doesn't bother with things like that. I'll use that speccy and post back.

Advertisements

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

http://speccy.pirifo...aScCMnwN8ytKf1p

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
✓  Best Answer

Hello Marieukxx,

The only off things that I can see in Speccy would not explain the computer going into power saving mode;

Windows Update
AutoUpdate: Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time
Schedule Frequency: Every Day
Schedule Time: 03:00

Using XP on the internet is not recommended since Microsoft stopped providing security updates for it, there will be no more security updates released so AutoUpdate should be disabled.

Power Profile
Active power scheme: Home/Office Desk
Hibernation: Disabled
Turn Off Monitor after: (On AC Power): 20 min
Turn Off Hard Disk after: (On AC Power): Never
Suspend after: (On AC Power): Never
Screen saver: Enabled

Change the power setting so that the monitor Never switches off and if using a modern screen disable the screen saver, they may look pretty but are of no use on modern screens and take up resources that could be better used elsewhere.

When doing certain things the computer suddenly freezes then the monitor goes black and it says it's entering power saving mode.

Can you tell us if it happens when doing anything in particular such as gaming or watching a video etc.

When was the computer last cleaned out of heat trapping dust, overheating can cause such behaviour.

JAFYI: Firefox and Opera are stilled providing support for XP whereas Chrome is not so you have suggested wisely that FF be used.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Oh it does get that dust quite often and when that happens it won't switch on. It beeps and won't come on. Dad opens it and cleans out the dust. I think he did that about say 3 months ago maybe.

So disable all windows updates? I can do that.

I can turn off the screen saver but don't know how to get in to the power settings for the monitor. I will have a look at it now and see if I can find that so the monitor never turns off. I'll be back when it's all done.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Back. I found the power option where the screen saver was. So I turned off the screensaver so there is none now. I changed the monitor to never switch off. I've turned off auromatic windows updates.

One question. That shield is red now obviously and it says your computer may be at risk. I know dad will question that lol. That's ok isn't it?

The montior going into power saving mode is so unperdicatable tbh. I can watch videos on here. I did notice it happened when he opens is dumb AOL software. You know that old AOL where you sign in and use that as a browser. He insists on not changing it. He uses it every day. Some times it goes into power save doing that and other times it doesn't. When I downloaded that superantispyware it dowloaded with the computer fan making a [bleep] of a noise like the computer was really having to work hard. Then when it was checking for updates that's when it did it. When I rebooted I tried again. Again it made that loud fan noise from the tower like it's really working. The PC froze and it did it again so I didn't update it. It then updated by itself the next day. One day my sister came over and just was browsing the net and it kept doing it. Other days it's fine. It's hard to tell what sets it off. It did stop doing it for ages years ago when A friend suggested updating the drivers. can't remember which ones tbh. That fixed it for a good long while but it started doing it again.

Do you think it could be related to gettiing blocked up? I know from the first time he got this PC from dell it was a noisy one. We do have dogs who shed a lot and hairs get into the fan. Should he make a point of cleaning it more often?

Last question. he's been considering actually getting a new pc. Now that windows updates aren't supported do you think it's worth getting a new one? I put that free avast on it. He just uses windows firewall. He does all of his banking and stuff on here so he wants to make sure it's secure.

Thanks for all your help. I'll pop back in a bit to check for a reply.

EDIT: Spoke to dad who said you are an expert so if you say it's not secure for internet use he will get a new PC. He uses it for online banking, paypal, booking holidays and allsorts. What do you think?

Edited by Marieukxx, 16 June 2016 - 09:46 AM.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

So I was just searching the net on it and a site said to disable java for web browsing for security. Went looking for that in the control panel and it froze and beeped and went into power saving again. I think it does need a good clean out again. It's very dusty looking.

Edited by Marieukxx, 16 June 2016 - 10:01 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you Marieukxx  :(

If the computer hardware was not so dated I would normally suggest upgrading the OS to Windows 7/8.1 or 10, in this instance though it is not practicable not only down to the aged hardware but it being a Dell computer you would most likely find that Dell do not provide drivers for any OS later than XP or a slight chance Vista.

For your Fathers intended use, if no gaming will be involved an appropriate notebook can be obtained for circa £300.

Let us know what you decide to do regarding the Dell and if it helps any I have included my canned text for spring cleaning a PC below;

Some info as to why XP should not be used for online banking etc here

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions, 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket, press the power on button to get rid of any residual charge in the system, remove the side of the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely as this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan still.                                                                              

Ensure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the PSU details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note - if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Thanks for the reply. He's decided because of the safety he's gonna get a new one. He's had the hard drive replaced twice and was just waiting for it to die again before buying another. Thanks for your help. I've used this site a few times over many years and it's always been great. It's taught me a fair bit too.

You can close this one as he's just gonna go with a new pc or laptop.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

An example of what you can get for less than £300 HP 250 G4 Laptop

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up  :thumbsup:

An example of what you can get for less than £300 HP 250 G4 Laptop

Thanks for that. I'll show him.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem  :)

Just a couple of further suggestions for your Father to consider, one courtesy of colleague DonnaB :thumbsup:  format and reuse the 1TB HDD to recoup some of the financial outlay, depending on the type of new computer purchased in the case of a desktop PC it could be fitted internally and with a notebook a USB HDD enclosure or adapter can be used, second suggestion, see if we can help you to get the computer running stable and then use it as a HTPC for watching movies etc

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Not heard back from you Marieukxx, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Sorry I thought it was closed. He's bought a new one thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No problem, was waiting to see if you wished to pursue the suggestions in my reply #11.

JAFYI: We don`t normally close threads on the Tech forums but instead rely on the OP to let us know when they no longer need assistance so that the thread can then be marked as answered, this helps other people searching Google looking for help with the same or a similar question or computer issue.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Thanks for all your help