Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downgrading the OS

• Please log in to reply

garbageman9

garbageman9

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi,

I have a macbook that's a few years old.  It was originally running Mac OS X 10.6.3, but after I encountered a strange issue that caused my laptop to freeze constantly, I took it to the Genius Bar and they upgraded the OS to OS X 10.7.5.  It resolved the issue, but when I try to re-install an old piece of software I was running on 10.6.3, it failed, indicating that the newer OS didn't support certain files. 

So now I'd like to downgrade from 10.7.5 back to 10.6.3.  I have an installation disk for the latter, but when I try to run the installation, I get the following error:

"You can't use this version of the application install Mac OS X with this version of Mac OS X.  You have Install Mac OS X 23.1.1."

Can anyone offer any suggestions, or maybe a link where a solution for this has been discussed?  I admit I'm not especially computer savvy, so I'm not always sure what I'm looking for regarding advice.

I'm probably due for a new computer and an upgrade to the software, but until that happens, I'm hoping to be able to re-install and use the old software.

Advertisements