Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall/virus protection sufficient?

• Please log in to reply

espokane

espokane

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My aunt has a PC with broadband (cable) Internet service. She has a D-Link DI-524_revC wireless router and Norton SystemWorks 2005. Windows firewall is enabled. She has asked whether she is sufficiently protected from viruses and intrusions.

I first setup her wireless encryption (except for addition of an admin password, it was completely wide open, broadcasting the SSID w/o any WEP or WPA).

I then made sure SystemWorks 2005 was up to date. For good measure I installed and ran AdAware SE. I also pulled a Hijack This log (posted in the other forum).

I had to disable a firewall/encryption (?) program called Ghost Surf so she could use Internet Explorer (it was also blocking AdAware SE updates and Outlook Express), even on the lightest setting.

I poked around the D-Link control panel for firewall settings or info, but didn't immediately find any. My own Linksys WAP/router includes a firewall, so I assumed the D-Link would also. True? I ran out of time before I could review the manual in detail.

Would ZoneAlarm be a wise addition to her set up? Can anyone comment on the D-link router (is the firewall enabled by default?) I had hoped to run some tests via broadbandreports.com but time was short.

Any advice will be appreciated.

D-Link product page:
http://support.dlink...p...DI-524_revC

GhostSurf info:
http://www.tenebril....umer/ghostsurf/

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Advertisements

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*

Guest_crapwheresmycrowbar_*
If she's really worried - buy Norton Internet security. It includes Norton Antivirus (possibly the best AV out there), the Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Privacy Control and Norton AntiSpam. ZoneAlarm Pro is better than the free version by leaps and bounds. For spyware, Ad-Aware SE, SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D are all good. For professional software (ie not freeware) I'd recommend SpywareDoctor. (the full version.) Either than or Acronis Privacy Expert Suite 8.0 (commercial version).

Get Mozilla Firefox 1.0.4. and if she isn't used to it download the IE theme.

Edited by crapwheresmycrowbar, 16 June 2005 - 02:54 AM.

espokane

espokane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Doesn't Norton SystemWorks 2005 include Norton AV? I was under the impression that it was a suite, but perhaps the AV included in SystemWorks isn't the same software. They have so many products I'm not sure what her options are.