Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems downloading and running programs

• Please log in to reply

pharper

pharper

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

I am having trouble with downloading anything....or running things like a disk cleanup, defrag, deleting temp files....it starts and then freezes up and will just keep spinning in the middle.  Never finishes.  Also some websites I go to, I am getting not responding, just spins.

I have not done a disk defrag or clean up ever and my laptop is 5 years old.  

I was going to try and clean it up myself but having so much trouble.  I also downloaded a free trial of Piriform CCleaner and it just stops at 1% and spins. 

Would paying for this software help resolve my issues?

Please help!

I have Windows 7.

Edited by pharper, 16 June 2016 - 10:04 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Don't pay for CCleaner.  Would be best not to use it.  

Run a Disk Check (Vista does its own defrag if you leave it on):

1. Double-click My Computer, and then right-click the hard disk that you want to check. C:
2. Click Properties, (verify that you do have at least 11% of the drive free.) and then click Tools.
3. Under Error-checking, click Check Now. A dialog box that shows the Check disk options is displayed,
4. Check both boxes and then click Start.
You will receive the following message:
The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be accessed by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule the disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
Click Yes to schedule the disk check, but don't restart yet.
Right click on (My) Computer and select Manage (Continue) Then click on the arrow in front of Event Viewer. Next Click on the arrow in front of Windows Logs Right click on System and Clear Log, Clear. Repeat for Application.

Reboot. 

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).
sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

In either case:

1. Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso
and save it to your Desktop:
2. Right-click VEW.exe and Run AS Administrator
3. Under 'Select log to query', select:

* System
4. Under 'Select type to list', select:
* Error
* Warning

Then use the 'Number of events' as follows:

1. Click the radio button for 'Number of events'
Type 20 in the 1 to 20 box
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply then repeat but select Application.  (Each time you run VEW it overwrites the log so copy the first one to a Reply or rename it before running it a second time.)

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...download_speccy (Look in the upper right for the Download
Latest Version button  - Do NOT press the large Start Download button on the upper left!)  
Download, Save and Install it.  Run Speccy.  When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), 
File, Save as Text File,  (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK.  Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System.  
(It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Save the file.  Attach the file to your next post.  (More Reply Options, Choose File, Open, Attach This File)

Get Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run As Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK
Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header  to sort things by CPU usage with the big hitters at the top.  

Wait a full minute then:

File, Save As, Save.  Note the file name.   Open the file  on your desktop and copy and paste the text to a reply.

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Thank you for the thorough reply.   I have begun the steps and this is the problem I am having.   I can start but it's like it freezes up.  I am stuck on step 4, in the beginning of the process, where I checked off both boxes and then clicked start.  The message DOES NOT appear that you mentioned: The disk check could not be performed.....

I did check the task manager and it shows its running and not, not responding.

This is the problem I am having with my computer.  I have started a defrag yesterday, and it does not complete it. It is hanging up on everything I try to do?

I am trying to paste a picture on here for you, but why can't I paste a pic on here, lol?????

Please advise, what I should do since I am unable to complete anything without it just spinning or just hanging up.

Thanks so much!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Can you do this step?

Start, All Programs, Accessories then right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator.  Then type (with an Enter after each line).
sfc  /scannow

(This will check your critical system files. Does this finish without complaint?  IF it says it couldn't fix everything then:

Copy the next two lines:

findstr  /c:"[SR]"  \windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log  >  \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 
notepad \windows\logs\cbs\junk.txt 

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue.  Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Copy and paste the text from notepad or if it is too big, just attach the file.)

To post a screenshot:

Press the Alt + the Print Screen key on your keyboard. It may be labeled [PrtScn].

Open Microsoft Paint (All Programs, Accessories,Paint).

Go to the Edit menu and choose Paste (or just do Ctrl + v) and the image should appear.

Go to the File Menu and choose Save As.

Navigate to the folder where you want to save the image.  (Desktop)

Type a file name for the image: screen

Select a file type. jpeg 

Click the Save button.

Start a Reply.  Click om More Reply Options.  Click on the Choose File button, point it at your desktop and click on Screen.jpg then Open.  Now click on Attach this File.

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

It did nothing when I typed sfc / scannow.

and when I tried the next step message was cannot open.  See pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• Trying to run a disk check Gets stuck doing this step no box popped up.JPG
  • administrator pic.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Doesn't look like the command copied correctly.  Doesn't matter tho.  If SFC /Scannow didn't run there woudn't be anything in it anyway.

Normally when you start an Administrator Command Prompt it takes you to:

C:\Windows\System32  and not c:\Users\username

I see yours says it's an administrator.  Let's look and see if you have the sfc files:

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator,

Type (with an Enter after the line):

dir /a  \windows\system32\sfc*

You should get something like this:

Volume in drive C has no label.
 Volume Serial Number is 9088-E6E9

Directory of C:\Windows\system32

07/13/2009  07:33 PM             3,072 sfc.dll
07/13/2009  07:39 PM            39,424 sfc.exe
05/05/2011  05:14 AM            81,248 SFCOM64.dll
07/11/2010  08:28 PM            86,352 SFComm64.dll
07/13/2009  07:41 PM            45,056 sfc_os.dll
               5 File(s)        255,152 bytes

Do you have all 5 files?

In that same windows type (with an Enter after the line):

chkdsk  /f  C:

What happens?  It's supposed to display a prompt that asks if you want to schedule the volume to be checked the next time you restart the system. Click Yes to schedule this. 

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Ok here is what happened.

Attached Thumbnails

• admin pic 3 files.JPG
  • admin pic check disk.JPG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Do you know if yours is a 32 or 64 bit PC?

The chkdsk command is supposed to go on and ask you if you want to schedule it for you next reboot.  Odd it just stopped.   Did you ever get a prompt again?

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Ok I did it again and got this:

The problem is I CANNOT restart my computer.  It never restarts it just keeps spinning and states logging off, but never does.... I always have to manually turn it off, hard shut off.  So does that mean it will never do this, cause I can't restart?

Attached Thumbnails

• check disk.JPG

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

its 64

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

Looks like you are missing some sfc files since I have them on my 64.

Let's see if we can get it to shutdown.

In your Admin Command prompt type:

shutdown /p /f

When you hit Enter it should shutdown.  Does it?

If not then right click on the clock and select Start Task Manager

On the Applications Tab, End each task

On the Process tab, right click on each process that is NOT csrss or where the description does not start with windows and End Process.  Report any processes which will not allow themselves to be Ended.  Try to shutdown now.  You will probably not have a desktop so use the File, New Task option in Task Manager and just type in

shutdown /p

(If all else fails you can reopne the desktop with:  explorer )

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
It starts the shut down as always but just spins.
It says preparing to configure Windows
Do not turn off your computer and just constantly spins...it won't ever shut down?
How long should I wait for it to do this?

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
This is where I am

pharper

pharper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
image.jpeg

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP

OK. Sounds like it is trying to install an update and got hung.

Try the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows 7

This link is for 64 bit:

It's supposed to clean up hung updates.