Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

IOBit Supervirus

• Please log in to reply

Anarman

Anarman

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Hello, I'm trying to help a friend with her computer. She has an HP Laptop, corei5, I think around 8 gigs of ram.  The problem, when she logs into windows 10, there is an immediate error stating that the monitor.exe has failed.  You can see the entire desktop, including background and all folders/ files.  What happens is, the screen constantly flashes, or refreshes every half of a second.  You cannot click on the start bar, nor can you click on file explorer.  You cannot click on anything on the desktop, nor can you launch any applications.  I have put in a usb with otl, and some malware programs so I could load them onto the computer, but the usb drive does not detect. (it is formatted ntfs)  I tried loading into safe mode, and same issues occur.  In either safe more or regular mode, you can ctrl, alt delete, and end tasks.  I have ended the majority of the tasks.  When I get to the one I think is the issue (something called antivirus protection or something along those lines) it tells me that the computer will have to shutdown if I end that process.  Which it does in fact do if I attempt that.  I have loaded ubuntu onto a usb to see if I could get the files I need onto a external drive.  The volume mounts, but I cannot see the files that I believe should be there. I think her profile is called User, when I go there I can see the IObit folder and other miscellaneous folders but not any of the ones that I am looking to recover.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Again, having issues doing pretty much everything including running an otl.

Thanks in advance.

-Anarman

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 20,028 posts
  • MVP

Search for msconfig and hit Enter.  Try checking diagnostic startup and OK then reboot.  

Try uninstalling Advanced System Care.  

IF that won't let you then uninstall you can go back into msconfig and 

Go to Services tab and click on the box to hide Microsoft Services then uncheck
everything that remains.  Go to Startup tab and uncheck everything.  OK and
reboot.

See if you can uninstall it now.