Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard drive not working on Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I have a Seagate STBV2000100 2TB external HD that quit working. Tonight it quit working, my laptop does not recognize it anymore and the little light does not light up. What might be wrong with it? I have tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, I have tried rebooting my PC and nothing. I also tried different ports. If its dead is there anyway I can recover the data from it?

Edited by RebelGamer137, 19 June 2016 - 01:40 AM.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Its a 3.5" drive right? When you connect the AC adapter, do you feel some vibration from the HDD? If not it could be a problem with the adapter.

In some cases the problem is only with the case itself and not the HDD, if the drive isn't under warranty you can try to disassemble the unit to access the HDD. Connecting the drive internally to the computer will allow you to access and/or test the drive.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Hi,

Its a 3.5" drive right? When you connect the AC adapter, do you feel some vibration from the HDD? If not it could be a problem with the adapter.

In some cases the problem is only with the case itself and not the HDD, if the drive isn't under warranty you can try to disassemble the unit to access the HDD. Connecting the drive internally to the computer will allow you to access and/or test the drive.

No I do not so maybe that is it. I don't trust myself disassembling the unit, I am too unskilled with my hands.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 20 June 2016 - 02:57 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

No I do not so maybe that is it. I don't trust myself disassembling the unit, I am too unskilled with my hands.

In that case is probably better to visit some repair shop and ask them to check the AC adapter and the HDD case...

oliverpowell

oliverpowell

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Go through this blog http://www.stellarin...-recover-files/ it will help you to get back your lost data from unrecognized hard drive.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

I tried a new power adapter and that did not work. I got a second one in case the first one was not providing enough juice. My original HD power supply is 12V 1.5 amps, first replacement is 11~13V and 1~3 Amps while the second replacement is 12V and 2 Amps. Is it possible its still the adapter? Should I try the second one? The guy at Seagate Tech support said it should work. He linked me to it.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 13 July 2016 - 06:14 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Both adapters should work if the connectors match. The specs are under the accepted values.

I suppose the first one have some way to change the voltage to 12V. The amps value on the adapter is the maximal juice it can provide, in your case the HDD will need 1.5A max (probably less) based on the original power adapter.

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Should I try the second one?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Should I try the second one?

Yes but I suspect the problem isn't the adapter...

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

It randomly started working again. I am thinking about replacing the external HD with a new one. Should I do that?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

It randomly started working again. I am thinking about replacing the external HD with a new one. Should I do that?

I agree, usually the value of the data inside is higher than the drive cost.