Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 install won't allow updates (Solved)

Best Answer iammykyl , 20 June 2016 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the update.   Good to see you have the issue solved. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Hey all,

I'm trying to check for updates on Windows 7 and I get the following:

"Windows update cannot currently check for updates, because you must first restart the computer so that a previous installation can be completed"

In the updates available area it says "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready"......I don't want the Win 10 update.

I've gone through everything I can find to remove the Win 10 update crap and everything Microsoft gives on troubleshooting the Win 7 updater, but nothing seems to be working.

Does anyone know how to convince the system that Win 10 doesn't need to be installed?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday Wussy Smurf.

I use this GWX Control Panel.   Please read the Blog, download and try.   Pleas let us know the results.

http://blog.ultimate...tly-remove.html

Wussy Smurf

Wussy Smurf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

I previously tried GWX to no avail.  The problem was, my system had already attempted to install Win 10 and wouldn't allow any Win 7 updates until the Win 10 installation was complete.  I did a system restore and ran GWX again.  I also turned off automatic updates, that's what got me into this mess in the first place.  Problem cured...for now.  Until the Win 10 virus attempts to change my system again!

Thanks for the response!

Wussy Smurf

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for the update.   Good to see you have the issue solved.