Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Build Powering On, Then Off - Please Help! (Solved)

Best Answer GideonFerrell , 25 June 2016 - 09:54 AM

Thanks for the help! My issue was that because the RAM was locked into place I assumed it was inserted all the way in, but I realized I could still see some of the gold on the bottom of it. Once I... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

GideonFerrell

GideonFerrell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey all, I'm attempting my first build and doing an external build outside of the case to make sure everything is working ok. And when I go to power it on it turns on, lights up, and the fan and graphics card start spinning...but only for about 15/20 seconds. Then it turns off for a couple seconds before once again turning itself back on.

I do notice a slight odor when this occurs, but I've got thermal paste on the CPU and I'm not really sure what else it could be. I also tried a different PSU as I think that's where the odor is coming from, but it still didn't work. The odor seems to just be the odor of the PSU's because both smell the same. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Specs are...

Gigabyte GA-H170-D3HP ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Intel Core i5-6500 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Processor
MSI Radeon R9 390 Gaming 8G Video Card
SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX 12V Power Supply
Kingston Fury 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Fan

Thanks again!!!

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

:welcome: GideonFerrell,

Your specs look good, PSU has enough watts and Amps on the 12V rail.

Please do a bare min test on the bench.   Board on top of the MB box or a piece of cardboard. 

With the PSU off, take anti static measures by briefly touching a bare metal part of the case.

Remove the GPU and RAM.

Disconnect all wiring to the MB, (including case fans) except the CPU fan, connected to the CPU #1 header on the MB.

If the case power on plug from the case will reach the MB, use it after switching on the PSU   If not, use a small bladed screwdriver to touch the 2 power on pins on the case front panel header.

Do the PSU and CPU fans spin and keep going?

GideonFerrell

GideonFerrell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
✓  Best Answer
Thanks for the help! My issue was that because the RAM was locked into place I assumed it was inserted all the way in, but I realized I could still see some of the gold on the bottom of it. Once I pushed those suckers in hard it started working! I appreciate the help!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Thanks for the update  GideonFerrell, Much appreciated.  :thumbsup:

Great you spotted the problem and you are now up and running, job well done, :rockon: