Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboard issues, Alt Gr is stuck (Resolved).

Alt keyboard ctrl

Best Answer SophieMayk , 26 June 2016 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in response. It was indeed just the keyboard thankfully, was really dreading it being the PC. Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
My keyboard for my desktop computer has randomly started playing up, pressing B opens up WMP so I assumed Ctrl or Alt was stuck. Upon opening the on screen keyboard when I press 2 I'm apparently pressing the Alt Gr button. I had the issue where the 1 key was working as both Ctrls but that seems to have stopped after several reboots. My computer constantly assumes I'm holding Alt and there shortcuts happen when typing and my 2 button doesn't do anything but change tabs because it assumes Alt is constantly pressed.
I've tried rebooting, sticky keys is not on and I've tried turning it on and off again. I've tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers as well as trying different languages and layouts. I've tried KeyTweak go disable Alt Gr but it still persists. I tried spamming the keys but no change. I haven't tried another keyboard because I don't have a spare and can't get another until tomorrow. I've read so many forums and had no luck, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by SophieMayk, 22 June 2016 - 02:32 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

:welcome:   SophieMayk,

Trying a known good keyboard is the best way to check this or alternatively can you check the present keyboard on another computer, if a USB type keyboard you can try it on a notebook computer if you have one.

The onscreen keyboard also being off may suggest that the problem lays elsewhere I`m afraid.

SophieMayk

SophieMayk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay in response.

It was indeed just the keyboard thankfully, was really dreading it being the PC.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Glad to hear that all is now well and thank you for letting us know  :thumbsup:

You are welcome  :)