Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Playing any games result in varying blue screens (Resolved).

Best Answer MarcianoG , 15 August 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello again, I have finally found it. I asked a repair company to come and help me, they saw what was the problem and they gave me a different RAM stick.Upon which my computer has been blue an... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Hello everyone,

I am coming to an end of my wits and this is my final attempt at helping me get rid of my issue.

Long story short my computer crashes when playing video games (cs:go, witcher 3, fallout 3, just cause 3), it is very random and I am unable to recreate it on command.

I have contacted microsoft multiple times but of no use. They have done a lot of different scans and whatever microsoft people do but of no use. If I wanted more help of them I would have to get microsoft premium support.

Some blue screen codes I have received:

kernel_security_check_failure (only received once and very recently)

system_service_exception

page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

irql_not_less_or_equal

And that is if it produces a blue screen, sometimes it just crashes the game, sometimes it immediately blacks out and sometimes a black screen.

System specs:

Intel Core i7 2700K @ 3.50GHz

16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (Both ram and gpu are new from last november the rest is 4 years old!)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960

MEDION MS-7667

Running windows 10.

I have immediately run multiple virus scans through defender, malware bytes and microsoft provided emergency toolkit.

I have done integrity scans (sfc etc) 

I have after all this didn't work reinstalled windows 10.

Running memory diagnostic everything was fine. Hard disk is also fine (at least with the tools provided to check)

Then it still occured, I stress tested each component to see if it would break. Both cpu and ram can work at a 90-100% with ease and no temperature issues

GPU also seems to be working correctly.

I switched the slots for the RAM so it would use 2 different slots also did this for the GPU but alas it didn't help the problem.

This is kinda a last ditch effort to get some help. There is a lot of information and I probably missed some steps I did take I hope some people can provide help or help me localise the problem.

I also hope this is sort of in the right topic, because my problem is all over the place and might fit in anywhere :P.

Thanks in advance,

Marciano

Edited by MarcianoG, 26 June 2016 - 02:55 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

:welcome:   MarcianoG,

Tip

To ensure and so that I can see that you will receive notification of any reply to your thread please click on the Follow this topic tab, top right corner above your OP.

Can you post the brand and model name or number of the PSU for us please.

Please take expanded screenshots and only use the method below to attach them.

Download Speedfan and install it.  Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.  The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

speedfan.png

(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

Download then run HWMonitor and post a screenshot so that we have a comparison to the Speedfan results, details from here

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Thanks for the welcome!

My PSU is a FSP Gropu INC. (Fortron/Source)

Model no. FSP600-80EMDN 600W

I assumed you meant with program just the speedfan. So these are the values of my system when in 'normal' mode.

If I misunderstood and you wanted to see these values when I am playing a game I will happily provide them.

Thanks for the response and the help.

Attached Thumbnails

• HardwareMonitorDefault Values.jpg
  • SpeedFanDefaultValues.jpg

Edited by MarcianoG, 27 June 2016 - 02:42 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello MarcianoG,

Not a bad PSU and should be able to run your hardware without issue.

Temps look ok in both programs but the +5V and +12V look off, these readings can sometimes be anomalous so what I would suggest is that you check them in the BIOS and then do some gaming and grab a couple of new screenshots for us please.

Have you been overclocking at all.

Please restart your computer and check the temperatures/voltages in the BIOS, no screenshot is required just make a note of the temperatures and the +3.3V, +5V and the +12V and post them with your next reply.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.

The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

You are welcome btw  :)

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I have never done any overclocking as I guess I never found it interesting or necessary.

And for some reason it will not let me go into BIOS/UEFI. I tried shift restart and going into advanced options but the UEFI option is not there. 

I turned fast startup off to see if that would help but that wasn't it. 

I also tried it through system recovery in the settings menu but still all the options are there except for booting into BIOS

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

No O/Cing is good  :thumbsup:

No worries about the BIOS for now, screenshots after gaming please + can you check for and upload any crash dmps you may have;

1. Copy any dmp files from C:\Windows\Minidump onto the desktop.
2. Select all of them, right-click on one, and click on Send To> New Compressed (zipped) Folder.
3. Upload the zip folder using the More Reply Options and Attach buttons, bottom left of the dialogue input box 

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I eventually got bios to work the old fashioned way, for some reason my gaming keyboard wouldn't be powered as the bios screen flashed by so I had to use an old one and that one worked immediately onthe first try. However I could only find 3 voltage levels for: VCC3, VBAT and VSB3V. All of these were the same as the screenshots I sent before.

I included the dmp files and I will now play a game and hope it will stay not blue screen so I can provide you screenshots while in game!

Attached Files

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Okay so I played some witcher 3 and made sure I didn't go easy on it. (dense environment, lot of enemies and npc's)

These are the screenshots.

Attached Thumbnails

• HardwareMonitorGamingValues.jpg
  • SpeedFanGamingValues.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Temps are still ok but also getting odd voltage readings  :(

While I look at the crash dmps can you do the following for us please;

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Edit

You have had more than one issue going on recently, I have broke them down and explained what went on in each one, what we do next will depend on what, if anything shows up in your Speccy report.

The crash on June 9th was related to Windows Defender.

The crash on June 24th has the BUGCHECK_STR:  AV and the FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_AV_nt!CcGetDirtyPages+b4 this could be Defender again but could also point towards memory issues.

The crash on June 26th was caused by PROCESS_NAME:  witcher3.exe and FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x139_dxgmms2!VIDMM_RECYCLE_BLOCK::_VIDMM_RECYCLE_BLOCK+ff which is a Windows 10/Nvidea driver error.

The first crash on June 27th was caused by PROCESS_NAME:  steamwebhelper and FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0x3B_WdFilter!MpAmPostCreate+6ed which again is related to Windows Defender.

The second crash on June 27th has the BUGCHECK_STR:  AV and the FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_AV_dxgmms2!VidSchDdiNotifyDpc+94 which points towards java.

Edited by phillpower2, 27 June 2016 - 07:46 AM.
As per the above.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Here is my speccy link: http://speccy.pirifo...ENMtwCsEHIfv5Wl

Mmh so if it has to do with windows defender does it mean that it thinks my games are viruses or is there conflicts when running games with the real-time protection. 

Just so you also know all these games are legally acquired through steam and activated on steam

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Speccy also shows the +5 and +12V rails on the PSU to be off;

+5V: 3.700 V
+12V: 16.192 V

Not convinced on the +12V rail reading as if genuinely that high you would get overheating, the low +5V rail could cause problems with your add on video card though.

Mmh so if it has to do with windows defender does it mean that it thinks my games are viruses or is there conflicts when running games with the real-time protection. 

Wouldn't like to hazard a guess, have you previously had a third party AV installed.

Just so you also know all these games are legally acquired through steam and activated on steam

Nothing to suggest otherwise.

To at least rule out one of the causes of one of the recent crashes, java, it is no longer recommended having this on your computer as it is deemed a security risk, see here if you really need to use it disable when not in use and always make sure that you have the latest version, if you do not use it, uninstall it using the removal tool from here

Will wait on your next update before suggesting anything else.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Could you explain the +5V and +12V because I don't really know what they are for...

The company (Medion) from which I bought the pc did supply third party anti-virus which I immediately turned of and downloaded the then called microsoft security essentials

I also used Perfect Uninstaller to get rid of this anti-virus it was called Kaspersky I believe but that is irrelevant.

And the java I actually use for programming involved in my education. So I have to have both the normal java and the JDK

Edited by MarcianoG, 27 June 2016 - 11:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Could you explain the +5V and +12V because I don't really know what they are for...

These are power supplies from a PSU to certain items of hardware, some items such as more modern video cards require a higher voltage and rely on the +12V rail while others require less and draw power from the +5V rail, see attachment below.

The company (Medion) from which I bought the pc did supply third party anti-virus which I immediately turned of and downloaded the then called microsoft security essentials

I also used Perfect Uninstaller to get rid of this anti-virus it was called Kaspersky I believe but that is irrelevant.

Please note that I am not being pedantic and only making sure that we both fully understand what each of us means  :thumbsup:

1: By turned off do you mean uninstalled.

2: Did you download and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

3: Making sure that Kaspersky was properly removed is most relevant as is you possibly installing MSE when you are running Windows 10.

4: java info acknowledged, still advise that it be disabled when not in use and that you always make sure that you have the latest version before using it.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Yes I understand I very much value your help sir!

1: By turned off do you mean uninstalled.

Fully uninstalled through the supplied uninstaller and the third party application Perfect Uninstaller which I use to get rid of residual files and such.

2: Did you download and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

Originally this computer was supplied with windows 7 and on that OS I installed Microsoft Security essentials. When upgrading to Windows 10 it was replaced by defender. (Also made sure it was actually gone)

So security essentials is no longer on my pc.

3: Making sure that Kaspersky was properly removed is most relevant as is you possibly installing MSE when you are running Windows 10.

I apologies for making my story unclear.  In short at the very start Windows 7 and Kaspersky was installed, deleted Kaspersky and installed security essentials, Windows 10 upgrade removed security essentials and now using defender.

4: java info acknowledged, still advise that it be disabled when not in use and that you always make sure that you have the latest version before using it.

This information is noted and will do as you said!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

All points acknowledged and understood  :thumbsup:

Now that we are clear as to how you arrived at running Windows 10 I need to ask a couple of different questions;

1: Did the problems only start after you upgraded and consequently reinstalled Windows 10.

2: After upgrading and then reinstalling Windows 10 did you then install all of the latest available 64-bit drivers for the MB and starting with the chipset drivers first.

Medion driver downloads here do not include any Windows 10 drivers.

Let us know if the computer crashes after you disable java and then do some get gaming.