Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Playing any games result in varying blue screens (Resolved).

Best Answer MarcianoG , 15 August 2016 - 03:26 AM

Hello again, I have finally found it. I asked a repair company to come and help me, they saw what was the problem and they gave me a different RAM stick.Upon which my computer has been blue an... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

1: Did the problems only start after you upgraded and consequently reinstalled Windows 10.

The problems started about 4 weeks ago, with blue screens every single time I played any game for about 10-15 minutes.

I have had windows 10 since its release. And as far as I can remember there were no updates (windows or drivers) that I did or had before it happened.

After this first crash it was however my first impulse to update all drivers.

2: After upgrading and then reinstalling Windows 10 did you then install all of the latest available 64-bit drivers for the MB and starting with the chipset drivers first.

This is indeed one of the issues I ran into. And as you noted yourself Medion doesn't supply MB drivers for windows 10.

That is also why I am suspecting the motherboard for just being outdated and not supported anymore unfortunately, but I wanted to make sure it was the motherboard before going out buying a new one and still having this problem.

About the java thing, I just now realised I haven't even installed java since I did a clean install of windows 10...

Can't find traces of java anywhere

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

We can only work from the Windows 10 installation Date: 7-6-2016 23:50:44 and to this point you have had 5 crashes, this makes me suspect that this is a driver/software as opposed to a hardware issue else you would have had more, unless you have not been using the computer that much.

The java thing is somewhat of a mystery then  :headscratch:

So you have all of the latest 64-bit drivers installed but did you install the chipset drivers first, this needs to be done that way or other drivers may not install correctly.

Did you also install the latest BIOS for the MB, it may have not needed to be done in Windows 7 but upgrading to Windows 10 may require it.

Have you tried rolling back to an earlier version of the drivers for your video card.

Just trying to make sure that we cover all bases here  :thumbsup:

We can take a look at your Windows installation next and then do a comprehensive test of your RAM.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

I don't know how long dump files are stored but it has been a lot more then 5, my guess it is closer to 20.

Ah it could be these 5 crashes since reinstall of windows though. And I had another crash this morning, again playing a game and the game just stopped, no blue or black screen though.

I presume the order of installation might have been incorrect but I have tried to get all the hardware drivers in order. For the motherboard I downloaded the windows 8.1 version before as I thought that would be the closest.

Yes latest BIOS was also installed

After my first crash I actually updated drivers because I thought that might have caused, I have not tried rolling back twice to a version before my initial crash.

If you want to look at the ram through the windows provided Windows Memorycheck (some things might get lost in translations seeing as my language is not set to english on pc)

I ran this check twice already and both times they came back as nothing was wrong.

The windows reinstall was done through the system recovery, with the option of deleting programs but leaving personal files untouched

Kinda don't wanna do another clean install, but I'm feeling that it might be inevitable at the current stage I am in.

Another note though, after the two crashes yesterday and after a couple restarts (trying to get into bios) I left it on and played some games, I think I played for about 6 hours (cs:go, witcher 3 and rocket league) 2 of these games have caused blue screens and crashes, but not yesterday after the 2 initial crashes

Edited by MarcianoG, 28 June 2016 - 05:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

To address the points in your reply #18;

Your earliest crash happened two days after your reinstall.

Driver order acknowledged and yes the Windows 8.1 driver would have been what I would have installed.

Windows memory check is not what I would use and as said I was leaning more towards a driver/software, your latest lock up without Windows actually crashing casts some doubt on this though.

Kinda don't wanna do another clean install, but I'm feeling that it might be inevitable at the current stage I am in.

** Reinstalling while keeping your personal data is not a clean install, a clean install involves formatting the HDD with the loss of all data on it, this is always a last resort for us to suggest but unfortunately it has been necessary for many people who have upgraded from an earlier OS to Windows 10 and in particular on OEM (brand name) as opposed to custom built computers.

** The Microsoft EULA (end licence user agreement) for the free Windows 10 upgrade does not initially give the option to do a clean install, the user must first upgrade their present Windows 7 or 8.1 OS to Windows 10 and after that download the free Windows 10 ISO which can then be used for a clean installation of Windows 10.

If you do decide on a clean install I would suggest that you first of all download and save all of the required MB drivers to a USB thumb drive.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

What RAM check tool would you recommend?

The reason I reinstalled windows 10 was because of the crashes, if the dmp files show otherwise I can assure you there have been more unfortunately.

and you are correct I was wrong using the word clean install.

And I would rather try all the options and have this clean install as a final resort. Which seems to be getting closer and closer...

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Guide to using Memtest86+ here please note that for best results each stick of RAM should be test separately.

The point that I was making was that you have only had the 5 crashes since the last reinstall, in case you are not aware already, any earlier crash dmps will have been deleted when you did the reinstall.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Yes you are correct I wasn't sure if it was clear. 

I will do this ram test and take each one seperately and see if it works

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

:thumbsup:

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello again, sorry I took my sweet time setting it up.
I randomly took one of the rams out and left 1 in. However this happened (see included pic). It wouldnt continue so I assumed it couldnt continue. So I took this one out and the other one is running currently!
I dont know what this picture means though :$

Edit: did this on mobile and indeed forgot to attach it20160630_113758.jpg 20160630_113758.jpg

Edited by MarcianoG, 30 June 2016 - 04:35 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No pic attached, after Choose File did you click on Attach This File.

Advertisements

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I edited it and accidentally added it twice sorry.

Edit: The other ram was good. After this I put the 'faulty' one back in to see if it would happen again but now it has passed the point where it previously failed

Edit2: does it matter what slot the ram is in?

Edited by MarcianoG, 30 June 2016 - 04:43 AM.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay confusion is coming over me. I put the ram stick that gave the error code in the same slot of the one that didn't give an error code, and it passed the test.

What I am thinking now is that one or multiple of the slots are broken so I will do a memtest on each of the slots.

I added a picture the one slot that the ram is currently in is tested by both sticks and passed. I will call this number 4 then going left counting down the far left is 1 will do testing to see which fails.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160630_130150.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Below is my canned text for properly testing RAM;

How to physically test your Ram, this may take some time to complete but is a more accurate test than running any software while all memory is in the board. 

The following checks require the computer case to be opened so take the following safety precautions 1st, disconnect the power cord from the wall socket  and take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case.

Have a pencil and notepad to hand.

Remove each stick of Ram and blow out the memory slots.

Insert the first stick of Ram in memory slot one, reconnect the power and in the case of a desktop computer the video to screen cable.

Power up the computer and see how it goes.

Make a note of the results.

Repeat the procedure until the first stick of Ram has been tested in each memory slot and the results written down.

Remove the first stick of Ram and put it to one side on top of a piece of paper with the number one on it for identification purposes.

Repeat the procedure with all Ram until each stick has been tested in all slots, the results written down and the sticks identified numerically.

Please note that some MBs (motherboards) will not boot unless there is Ram in slot one, in this instance check each stick in slot one and then leave a stick in slot one while the sticks are tested in the other slots, be sure to replace the stick in slot one with another so that can also be tested in the other slots.

MarcianoG

MarcianoG

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Okay. I am doing this but instead of just booting up I am doing the memtest. Up until this point I have this

Stick 1: passed slot 1,2,3,4. Very first attempt it failed in slot 2

Stick 2: passed slot 1,2,3,4

Edited by MarcianoG, 30 June 2016 - 08:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Memtest should be run at least 5 or 6 times on each stick and because it is so time consuming it is best left to run overnight,  as you are already aware RAM can pass one time and then fail the next + running it a few times identifies if there is a pattern such as a stick passing 5 out of 5 tests in three of the slots but failing 2 out of 5 in one particular slot.