Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Memory Problems Running Edge (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 July 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hello flowerchild552008, Never particularly liked Edge from the outset so disabled it and instead use Chrome and without issue, unfortunately this did not work for yourself when you tried it s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

In the past few weeks I have had a lot of problems with my browser slowing down or coming to a complete standstill.  I have run a full scan with Defender and Malwarebytes with no problems found.  Task Manager is showing Edge hogging memory if it's on MSN.  I am uncertain if I need to add memory or if it is a problem with Edge/MSN.  This was so sudden that I am leaning toward software.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello flowerchild552008,

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Thanks for your assistance.  I'm not sure if I've done this correctly but I think this is the URL for Speccy.  Please let me know if this is what you need. 

http://speccy.pirifo...aHZ5B3LD77y0QdU

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Thanks for the url which shows that there is nothing wrong with your hardware.

The problems that you are having are well documented with the finger of blame being pointed at Microsoft and predominantly their IE 11 and Edge browsers being affected by a recent bad update, example thread here

Would you be willing to download and try Chrome to see how that goes, please note that you would need to set Chrome as your default browser or IE or Edge will still load.

NB: I am presently helping another member with the same issue where I also suggested trying Chrome, for one reason or another they seem to think that they are better off with IE 11 and Bing and have not tried Chrome, hopefully you will try it and then have no further problems.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Thank you for the information.  A bad update on Microsoft's part does make sense as the problem did come on rather suddenly.  I will try Chrome and see how that works.  Maybe, in time, Microsoft will fix the problem. (I'm old and sometimes resistant to change, lol)  Fingers crossed, I'll let you know how it goes.

I appreciate your assistance.  Thanks for donating your time to help all of us. 

Deb 

Edited by flowerchild552008, 28 June 2016 - 07:03 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Two good things about trying Chrome are 1: it will only cost you your time. 2: it is easily reversible should it turn out that Microsoft have fixed a known bug and you wish to try Edge again (I don`t like it myself and stick with Chrome instead but that is my preference and not every ones).

You are most welcome btw  :)

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

No good news.  Looks like Chrome gobbles up as much as Edge. The problem seems to occur on sites that have videos and a lot of ads like my local news site.  The only reason I say this is that I'm using Edge now with Outlook plus one other tab for GTG and it's doing fine.  When the cursor turns blue and starts spinning I know it's not a good sign.   Might be that I need to add some memory. 

Thanks again for your assistance.

Deb

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Was worth a try, can I just ask you to confirm that Chrome was set as your default browser and Edge was disabled.

You have plenty of RAM for Windows 10 Home 64-bit as the minimum requirements are 2GB, the problem is not a lack of RAM but something is hogging it, your Speccy report shows Memory Usage: 57 % and that is way over the top for a computer that is not under heavy load;

In the Search field by the Start button type Task Manager, click on the Task Manager (Desktop app) at the top of the list, when Task Manager opens, expand the window to full screen, check what processes are using up your RAM and get back to us please.

Memory leak caused by a bad update looks most likely atm but we may be best to also test your RAM after your next update.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you flowerchild552008, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Please accept my apologies.  I do not recall seeing your message from the 29th but was out of town at a family funeral so probably totally overlooked it. 

Yes, I would like to continue to attempt to solve this dilemma.  Yes, Chrome was set as the default browser.  It wasn't hogging quite as much memory as Edge but made up for it with CPU usage.  Both create the same slow symptoms.  Recently, I have been running Task Manager whenever the computer is in operation so that I can watch what is going on.  It seems that the more tabs that are open the slower it gets.  Sites that may have a lot of videos and popup ads seem to be worse (our local news channel, Facebook, etc.). 

The Microsoft communities have posts from folks complaining but they don't have any concrete fixes from what I've read.  Oh, the only program that I see using a lot of memory is Edge.  How do I send you a screen shot?  With only 3 tabs open, MSN.com, Outlook and this one the memory usage was over 1000 MB on one.  Then it goes back down.  Now the highest one us a little under 200 MB (total memory usage 48%).    Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Deb

Edited by flowerchild552008, 05 July 2016 - 07:55 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem, thanks for getting back to us  :thumbsup:

Lets check what load your CPU is under please;

Download Process Explorer which you can obtain from here

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7 - right click and Run as Administrator).  

View, Select Column, check Verified Signer, OK

Options, Verify Image Signatures

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... Click on the More Reply Options tab then after typing in any response you have... click on Choose File...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on Attach This File...on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Hope I did this correctly and it will help.

Attached Thumbnails

• process explorer.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not quite right I`m afraid, did you perhaps miss the following in my reply #11;

Click twice on the CPU column header to arrange things by CPU usage, this will put the services with the highest CPU usage at the top of the log. 

Wait a minimum of a minute then grab a screenshot and attach it to your next reply for us

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Hope this works.  Sorry about that.new screenshot process explorer.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No problem, your new screenshot shows that Edge is hogging resources.

Have you uninstalled Chrome, if yes, please download Firefox, set it as your default browser, download and run Edge Blocker from here test and post back with an update.