Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 10 Memory Problems Running Edge (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer phillpower2 , 30 July 2016 - 01:59 AM

Hello flowerchild552008, Never particularly liked Edge from the outset so disabled it and instead use Chrome and without issue, unfortunately this did not work for yourself when you tried it s... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Need some help with Clean Boot.  All was going well until I got to step 5 and the Disable tab was not functional (shaded).  It may be something I missed but tried twice with the same result.  What to do now?

Here is a screenshot.

Step 5 clean boot.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Starting at the top highlight each entry individually by clicking on it and this should then enable the Disable tab. 

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

It's good that I'm a patient person or I would have thrown out this computer  already today :smashcomp: .  I'm trying to reboot in safe mode to run the Windows Repair and it says that Edge won't run and I need to sign back in as an administrator.  I'm the only person that has a password on the computer. What next?​

Edit:  I have been researching.  Is this something that I should try here? http://www.intowindo...-in-windows-10/

Edited by flowerchild552008, 17 July 2016 - 06:40 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Aye computers can drive you up the wall  :wacko:

Using the hidden Admin account is a good idea but can I suggest that you password protect it and keep the details somewhere safe.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Looks like more research for me.  None of the choices given to get to the built in administrator worked.  I thought I was the administrator since mine is the only password I set up when I installed Windows 10.  This stinks!

Another edit:  Decided to go slowly and do each step again.  Had the same results but I had the message wrong.  "This app can't open.  Microsoft Edge can't be opened using Built-in Administrator account.  Sign in with different account."

Should I just scrub this or can you think of anything else I can try?

Sorry to be such a pain!

Edited by flowerchild552008, 18 July 2016 - 05:06 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Try disabling Edge and using IE as your default browser for now.

Sorry to be such a pain!

You are not so please don`t worry.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Assigned IE as default browser and it was acting very hinky.  I switched everything back.  

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Assigned IE as default browser and it was acting very hinky.

Not sure what you mean by hinky, please explain.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

It was incredibly slow, wouldn't let me open more than two tabs and then it would freeze.  Restarted computer a couple of times but it didn't make any difference.  Finally gave up and switched back to edge. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

The idea was to try running the repair tool while using IE and with Edge disabled, please try this and get back to us.

Other than the above I can only see a system refresh as an option.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Great news (not really good news at all).....today my daughter received a call from a guy saying that he was with Dell and my computer is sending them notices of errors.  She knows that I am having problems and working on this with you so she wanted to help.  She remembers him getting her to press the windows key and R, which she did and she is not sure what else but when whatever he had her doing started to download she cancelled it. When I returned home, I hit the Windows/R and it filled in www.fff.re/dawu.  Now I am worried.  I wanted to share this with you before I go any further with anything else.  Oh, I looked under downloads on the Hub in top right corner of my screen and see one called Supremo.exe.  That does not sound at all familiar to me. 

This stinks!  Maybe I should just save my files and start over.  I would certainly appreciate your guidance now more than ever. 

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

That is bad news as you have been targeted by scammers, see example info here

Please see GTG malware redirection information below;

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Please include a link to this thread in any malware thread that you may need to start regarding this attempted scam, this will help the security experts check what has previously been done, good luck and we will be here should you need to return later.

flowerchild552008

flowerchild552008

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Thanks for all your time and patience. 

Deb

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts