Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DEll XPS 1645 - Orange Battery Light Blinking (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

Overheating affects electrical hardware in various ways and the idea of removing the battery is to see if the computer shuts down when under heavy load, if it does, the battery is removed as a poss... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
OK... I'm getting concerned. It's been 7 hours and Windows "has replaced bad clusters.". But it's been at 11% since my advice post. Do I just keep it going? Image attached.

Attached Thumbnails

• WP_20160710_22_14_50_Pro.jpg

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK. It's been, like, 12 hours now, and it's still at 11%. Please let me know what to do if, when I awake in the morning, it's STILL at that same place.

p.s. "advice post" in the above was supposed to be "previous post"

Edited by Phlegmbot, 11 July 2016 - 12:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

chkdsk can take many hours to complete and is best left alone until completion, that said if a HDD is in such a bad way then chkdsk may never complete, give it a couple more hours and post back with an update for us please.

NB: Heading off back to work so will not be around for a few hrs but meanwhile see my canned text below for how to test your HDD another way;

Possibly a bad HDD so I suggest that be checked first using one of the tools at the link below.

If possible select the tool that is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive TackTech if unsure use Seatools for Dos as it works well with many other brands;

Depending on the program it will create a bootable floppy or a bootable DVD/CD.

If the downloaded file is the .iso type use ImgBurn to burn the .iso file to a DVD/CD disk depending on your OS (select "Write image file to disc" option) and make the disk bootable.

RE ImgBurn: please use the custom install and uncheck the attached foistware such as "Install Entrusted Toolbar etc

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

hey, Phill,

this is why I asked to stop chkdsk. It's still frozen. So I powered down. Waited. Rebooted. It tried to reboot into safe mode, but it's now running Windows repair. (correction: Windows Repair has now failed.)

re: Your suggestion above, I do not have the ability to make a DVD. My burner stopped working a while ago. I do however have another blank drive that I can swap out. Is there any way to get this up and running with only other external drives avail to me? (at least one does have a Recovery drive on it... But I've not put it to the test.)

Edited by Phlegmbot, 11 July 2016 - 08:06 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

You have no other option I`m afraid  :(

Time to test the HDD itself and start any warranty claim sooner rather than later if the drive fails testing.

Edit

Try Ctrl-Alt-Del first.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

please see edited post above.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

woh. Sorry about all those repeat posts. Your site is weird on my Windows phone.

anyway, OK, I'll go see if I can pick up an external DVD player, boot f from my Windows and...i don't recall how I got windows into the new HDD, is there an instructional you can link me to?

thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

No worries, they have been hidden  :thumbsup:

anyway, OK, I'll go see if I can pick up an external DVD player, boot f from my Windows and...i don't recall how I got windows into the new HDD, is there an instructional you can link me to?

If you mean how do you boot a Windows disk you will need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS so that it boots from a USB device first and the HDD second, let us know if that is not what you meant.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey, Phill!

OK, I'm back up and running.

I still have the orange blinking light, but everything is AOK. Luckily (sorta), when my previous HDD crashed, I reached out to Seagate, told them how disappointed I was that their drive lasted only 14 months, and...well, actually, they didn't care. But b/c they didn't care -- and told me so -- I then wrote a letter to the SVP of the company and HE had them send me a better 1tb drive. That said, I had a local PC repair shop do a diagnostic on my PC. It passed all of their tests...although he admitted that they didn't actually open the PC. So I'm not sure what kind of diagnostics they did,but he said it was "not likely" that it was my motherboard. But suggested that the issue is likely a bad battery -- it's a generic brand, but it's a generic brand that I've had before that worked great.

So, I'm going to reach out to the battery company. But please let me know how we continue w/PC tests to just be sure. 

And thanks again!

-PBot

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Ugh. OK, well, the battery has stopped blinking orange now. But it doesn't charge. AND the computer cannot seem to power up if the the power chord isn't attached. Still waiting to hear from the company that I bought it from.

In other news, Windows Update isn't working. So I tried the MS suggested fix (the Fix it Tool [detailed log info attached] & manual fix) -- neither worked.

So then I looked at this:

http://www.wintips.o...r-vista-solved/

The last suggestion, about updating Intel Rapid Storage seems like it might be the problem -- when the repair shop put the OS onto my machine, they seemed to have skipped a few things and I DID receive some kind of error about that. I thought I'd fixed it. But perhaps not. Sooo, I DL'd the ZIP file suggested here:

https://downloadcent...logy-Intel-RST-

The Zip file doesn't seem to have any kind of setup or autorun file, so I don't understand what to do. 

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Bad battery or the notebooks charging circuit are just two possibilities  :(

The Zip file doesn't seem to have any kind of setup or autorun file, so I don't understand what to do. 

Can you upload a picture of the contents of what you downloaded.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Is there any way to test that charging circuit w/an app or something? 

The files in the zip are as follows:

iaAHCIC.cat

iaAHCIC.inf

iaStorA.sys

iaStorAC.cat

iaStorAC.inf

iaStorF.sys

Also, I realized I forgot to UL the file of the Windows error and report. I tried to attach it, but it says I'm "not permitted to upload this type of file." It's a docx. You can DL it here: http://www.filedropper.com/fixitforme

THX!

PBot

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Only a qualified tech with rather expensive equipment can test the charging circuit, it would involve partly dismantling the notebook as well.

Any drivers that you need should be downloaded from Dell, Dell are notoriously picky when it comes to drivers and the store should have followed the driver installation order specified by Dell so as to avoid issues.

Run the Dell scanner tool to see if it suggests any updates, see here

I would also run the Dell diagnostic tests on the battery and HDD, details here

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Only a qualified tech with rather expensive equipment can test the charging circuit, it would involve partly dismantling the notebook as well.

Any drivers that you need should be downloaded from Dell, Dell are notoriously picky when it comes to drivers and the store should have followed the driver installation order specified by Dell so as to avoid issues.

Run the Dell scanner tool to see if it suggests any updates, see here

I would also run the Dell diagnostic tests on the battery and HDD, details here

I ran Dell System Detect w/the previous new install 3 mos. ago. It had no idea what I had or needed. It doesn't work very well. It only recommended 3 drivers...when I needed about 7. 

But I'll try that. The diagnostics tests I've also run -- they said everything was perfect. I did that before coming here. ;]

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Only really looking at the HDD atm due to the recent problem that you have had with it but fwiw the Dell driver installation order is here

What I would do, run the Windows AIO tool again (only the required tests) and run Seatools for Windows.