Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DEll XPS 1645 - Orange Battery Light Blinking (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

Overheating affects electrical hardware in various ways and the idea of removing the battery is to see if the computer shuts down when under heavy load, if it does, the battery is removed as a poss... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

I tried to get a disc image, I cannot. Because the repair shop f#$@ed up the install, my Product Key isn't on the PC

The above is a concern as it suggests that an unlicenced OS has been installed by someone, when the MS servers detect this the end user is unable to install updates and will get a Windows not genuine message on the screen, have you had such a message.

Two things to do;

Use Magical Jellybean keyfinder free to get the product key for your present Windows 7 installation, compare it to what you had previously and reveal it to no one.

The Windows Genuine symbol IS on there when I go to the System page. I just think it's a Key that's probably been used numerous times. 

When you say "compare it to what you had previously" do you mean "previously" as in the one I found post-repair via the trickI linked in my previous post? Or do you mean the one I had ORIGINALLY, b/c that's the one I no longer have, which has been the problem.

Please download WVCheck from;

Latest ZIP Download

Double click WVCheck.exe. (If you downloaded the zipped version you will need to extract it.)

As indicated by the prompt, this program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.

Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file and attach them to your next reply for us please.

Should I still do this considering what i explained above?

I've seen online that another possible repair is manually DL'ing an SP1 update. Should I try that? 

Most likely not an option after such a long time but in some instances Windows 7 SP1 can be uninstalled, see here

So, wait, are you saying I should uninstall SP1 before DL'ing SP1 update? Is the update worth trying?

(Sorry for all of the questions above, as I've said, I like to understand what I'm doing before I do it.)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I cannot. Because the repair shop f#$@ed up the install, my Product Key isn't on the PC

In what way did the repair shop mess up the install, any product key that they used should have been given to you personally in hard copy form either as the product key sticker or in written/printed form.

No inference that the present product key is not legit btw, the store may be using product keys purchased online that come bundled with faulty computers or hardware, see example here and the Ebay Policy and Microsoft Policy States info in particular.

The Windows Genuine symbol IS on there when I go to the System page. I just think it's a Key that's probably been used numerous times. 

There is no suggestion that Windows is not genuine and the concern is with the product key that has been used, OEM companies such as Dell and HP etc have an arrangement with Microsoft which allows them to use the same product key on multiple computers, it is called VLK (Volume Licence Key) and I doubt whether a local tech store would apply for or be granted access to the same agreement, VLK explained here

Do both suggested steps and then post back please.

So, wait, are you saying I should uninstall SP1 before DL'ing SP1 update? Is the update worth trying?

No the link was for information purposes only, you are already running SP1 so cannot install it again unless by some real remote chance you are able to uninstall the previous version.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey there!

OK, so I ran Jellybean -- the product key it found is the same key found by the How-to-Geek trick I pasted.

To answer your query above, the way the repair shop messed up the OS install: They didn't use the disks I provided them and decided to use their own OS install disks. Why? I've no idea. (I got my money back from them and the owner has since contacted me, apologizing for hte major screw up and offering to help further -- told him, based on my experience w/his team, I'd rather wait, see if I can get it resolved.)

Attached is the WVCheck file. Please let me know what you find, b/c I'd like to tell the owner of this repair shop.

Also, here's a question: When closing Jellybean, I got a pop-up asking if I wanted to try and recover an OLD product key (but it was a $30 program). I still have an old HDD that I can access via USB enclosure.  Is there a FREE program that might be able to read the product key off of that drive?

And, if so, do I have it try to read the key off of the normal partition or the "Recover" partition of the old drive?

Let me know your thoughts. THANKS AS ALWAYS!

-PBot

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Will come to your product key down below.

As long as the OS that the store installed was the same as yours they have not done anything untoward, why they did not use your Windows media is something that only they can tell you.

Your Windows install is all good so what I suggest you try and do is see if you can reactivate your product key using the Microsoft automated telephone method, see Activate Windows 7 using the phone here

I would try the free version of Magical Jellybean with the USB enclosure connected to the present computer, not saying for sure that it will work but you do have the Scan another or non-bootable Windows option available.

And, if so, do I have it try to read the key off of the normal partition or the "Recover" partition of the old drive?

Depends on whether or not the boot partition is an upgrade of the OS on the recovery partition and if the drive is from an OEM computer where a VLK has been used.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK! Good news for once!

The Jellybean app read two of my old drives and gave me the product ID and the CD Keys of both Win7 (an older drive) and Win10 (the most recent drive that failed).  So before I try to reactivate using the store's Product Key, I'd like to try my own (and then use the reactivate if nec.).

But I've looked at so much stuff, I'm confused. To create the bootable USB for the Win7 repair, do I use this:

https://www.heidoc.n...o-download-tool

Or something else here: 

http://www.sevenforu...ir-install.html

What are the steps at this point?

My head hurts,

PBot

p.s. I don't think the repair shop did anything untoward. I think they did something STUPID. ;]

Edited by Phlegmbot, 21 July 2016 - 03:29 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Download your ISO using the information from here the Windows 7 forum link only directs you to the same info.

You will need Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6.1 and IE11 btw.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

OK, weird thing happening: So I tried installing IE11. It seemed to go through the steps, but when I executed the HeiDoc file, I was told I neeed to update IE11. A few moments later, I got a pop-up saying certain prerequisite updates are required for IE11. It automatically opened up this page in my browser:

https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2847882

Let me know which of the updates on that page I should DL.

Also, if it means anything, I don't see any version of IE in my Programs list (under add/remove programs), but when I open IE it is still IE8.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Just checking in. Thoughts on IE11 and those things that it says I should DL?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry was not around yesterday and tbh with the best will in the world I can`t be 7 days a week every week  :(

I would download and install all of the 64-bit updates including the optional ones.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Thanks, Phill, I appreciate the time you put in! But, you know how it is -- PC's got problems, we get panicked. :upset:

Every time I try to download those files from "Prerequisite Updates ... Explorer 11" page, I get this error seen in the attached.

I tried the fix on this page: http://www.kapilarya...countered-error

No luck.

On the plus side, I got another new battery today. This one works! (So far....)

What do i do now?

Attached Thumbnails

• error.jpg

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

If you can, I would ask a friend if they would download the ISO for you.

Can you post a Speccy url for us please, I need to see what chipset your MB has.

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your computer hardware + any software that you have installed that may explain the present issue/s. 

Good news on the battery at least.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey,  Phill!

I've not again tried to DL the Win7 ISO, b/c of the IE11 issue. Even if I have a friend DL the ISO, won't I still run into a problem once I bring it to my PC? If IE11 is needed for the ISO to run, my PC is still lacking that. Or am I misunderstanding?

I'm uncertain what you mean by the Speccy URL. I've posted the txt file tho'.

Edit by phillpower2;

Windows 7 product key removed from Speccy report for security.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Hello PBot,

Even if I have a friend DL the ISO, won't I still run into a problem once I bring it to my PC?

If IE11 is needed for the ISO to run, my PC is still lacking that. Or am I misunderstanding?

IE11 is not required for the ISO to be able to run on your computer rather the ISO will not download to a computer not running IE11, trying an alternative browser could work in this instance but cannot say for sure.

Couple of things showing in Speccy that can or have caused you problems + something rather odd regarding the date that Windows 7 was installed on your computer;

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Portable
Installation Date: 7/11/2016 6:58:58 PM

Enable the User Account Control. follow the steps for this here there is an explanation there that explains why it should be enabled.

Active power scheme High performance You should switch this to Balanced as High Performance causes over heating and instability + quickly uses up the battery supply.

Hibernation Enabled Hibernation causes problems and is of little use, disable it;

To make hibernation unavailable, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
  2. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
  3. When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
  4. At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
  5. Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hey there.

OK, I've only one friend locally w/a PC, everyone else has Macs. I'll see what I can do. 

Re: High Performance: OK, changed that. The repair shop must've chosen that setting, I normally keep that on Power Saver. But thanks, I was wondering why the PC was getting to hot!

Re: Hibernate. I can change it as an experiment if you like, but I'd prefer not to keep it off indefinitely. I do a lot of subway travelling and walking around from location to location and, as such, Sleep mode isn't preferred in these instances, but shutting down is terribly inconvenient. I've never had a problem w/Hibernate -- or as a result of it -- in the 6 years I've used this PC. But, again, if you just want me to change it for now b/c you think it could somehow start Windows Update working, I can try that. But, note, Windows Update wasn't working from the moment I turned on the PC after the repair shop idiots loaded the OS (apparnelty incorrectly) onto the computer.

I'm the one who disabled the User Account controls, but, again, that was long after the Windows Update problem was noticed.

Let me know what the next steps are, and if you've any other ideas to fix the Windows Update issue. THANK YOU, PHILL!

-PBot

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Disabling the UAC is putting you at risk security wise + it can have an adverse affect on the OS in general.

Hibernation info acknowledged, it is not likely to be responsible for the update problem whereas the UAC may.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Portable
Installation Date: 7/11/2016 6:58:58 PM

Any idea why your OS is reported as having been installed on July 11th of this year - is the computer presently showing the correct time and date.