Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DEll XPS 1645 - Orange Battery Light Blinking (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 02 July 2016 - 04:14 AM

Overheating affects electrical hardware in various ways and the idea of removing the battery is to see if the computer shuts down when under heavy load, if it does, the battery is removed as a poss... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Disabling the UAC is putting you at risk security wise + it can have an adverse affect on the OS in general.

Hibernation info acknowledged, it is not likely to be responsible for the update problem whereas the UAC may.

Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
Computer type: Portable
Installation Date: 7/11/2016 6:58:58 PM

Any idea why your OS is reported as having been installed on July 11th of this year - is the computer presently showing the correct time and date.

I believe that's the date of the new HDD installation and when the repair shop put the OS on. But it's the 2nd HDD I've had. Last time I put that OS on myself and had NO problems with updates. The date and time are correct. 

=\

Advertisements

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Another note:

1. In regard to my previous post: Keep in mind, the repair shop did NOT use MY installation disks (as we've discussed).

2. Do you think it might help to CHANGE the Product Key on the System window? (You know, that page where the MS Genuine image appears.)

3. The last time we tried Windows AIO tool was on the PREVIOUS HDD (for what we thought was a battery issue) -- do you think it's worth trying it again for this Windows Update issue? If so, please tell me which steps to follow again.

Edited by Phlegmbot, 25 July 2016 - 01:55 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,036 posts

I`m somewhat confused atm i`m afraid and could do with some clarification, your OP is dated June 28th 2016 and below are excepts from some of your previous replies; 

July 9th 2016;

The HDD is literally brand new. 3 Months ago I had the same issue 

July 11th 2016;

I do however have another blank drive that I can swap out.

July 13th 2016;

In other news, Windows Update isn't working.

The Windows Installation Date: 7/11/2016 6:58:58 PM is almost two weeks after your OP and nowhere between your OP and your reply #65 above has it been mentioned that you had returned the computer to the local tech store where a fresh installation of Windows 7 was installed.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Wow. I'm so sorry, Phill, I'm not sure how I missed that. 

I thought I explained it in post #24 and again in #44 and elsewhere, but I see how/why it's not clear. When I brought the PC to a repair shop, they installed the OS on a new HDD that supplied. But they used THEIR disks, not mine. Which is why I didn't have a product key (until the Jellybean app got it for me from the old drive). 

The HDD is fresh, the PC is working (new battery too -- the previous "new battery" [which started this thread] was, as it turns out, broken!), and so now I just cannot seem to get Updates to download. Everything else is working AOK.

So, to sum-up everything we've done on this NEW HDD:

To your queries from a few posts ago: Yes, the time is correct. Yes, it's a "Windows Genuine" OS.

- I tried Windows Repair ("Fix it for Me")

- And I tried the rest of the steps here: http://www.wintips.o...r-vista-solved/

- I ran the Dell diagnostic tools and the Dell scanner. Both say all of my drivers are AOK and everything is running AOK.

- I found some posting that had a Zip file and it said "Unpack and run this" with no further instructions. The files were:

iaAHCIC.cat, iaAHCIC.inf, iaStorA.sys, iaStorAC.cat, iaStorAC.inf, & iaStorF.sys. I had and have NO idea how to "run" anything there. (I cannot find the link any longer, but posted the files for you that day)

- I tried DLing an ISO image of Win7, but the PC won't let me b/c I do NOT have IE11.

- So I tried DLing IE11, and I was brought to a page telling me I need this stuff: https://support.micr...n-us/kb/2847882

- When I tried to DL those prerequisites, I got the error message: "Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247"

- This is supposed to FIX ERROR 0xc8000247: http://www.kapilarya...countered-error -- it did not work.

- I ran Seatools for Windows which told me everything on this HDD is AOK.

- I made sure UAC was enabled per your suggestion.

- I do not know ANYONE local with a PC, so I have no way of getting someone else to DL the ISO for me. 

- Yesterday, per another suggestion I found online, I tried DL'ing https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=46817 & https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=53332 -- but I got the same "Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247."

- Executing ANY msu files end up with that error.

We tried the Windows AIO tool for the PREVIOUS drive. Should I try that for THIS drive?

There're also 2 suggestions on this page (the 2nd one seems like just an advertisement, but I thought I'd check w/you):

http://www.computere...ows_Update.html

P.S. I DO now have an external DVD player (which I've not even opened yet -- just got it). Would my Dell installation disk have a Windows Repair option???

Edited by Phlegmbot, 27 July 2016 - 07:29 PM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Hi, again,

Are these real fixes? They both indicate to DL something called "RegCure" but neither site seems to have any ratings:

http://pcrepairprici...-0xc8000247.php

http://www.computere...ows_Update.html

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

OK, well, I gave up and just reinstalled the entire OS with my new external DVD player/writer.

Thanks for all of your help, Phill.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,036 posts

While not ideal you have at least done a better job of installing the OS than a certain local tech store did  :ranting:

Hopefully now that you have a good, clean install of Windows and a functional new battery you will have no more problems  :thumbsup:

Final suggestion for you, once Windows has been fully updated etc, make a back up image of your HDD, this will remove the need to reinstall a multitude of updates should you ever need to reinstall Windows 7 again, see tutorial provided courtesy of Essexboy here

You are most welcome btw PBot and glad to hear that all is now well with your battery and OS issues  :)

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Hey there, Phill! I thought you gave up on this thread!

I def'ly did a better job than the repair shop -- updates worked...right up until they stopped. *sigh*. Yeah, I can show you the list of updates, one suddenly failed and now Updating hangs (I posted in the Windows7 forums, hoping to get some help on that -- sfc/scannow found nothing).

I've also some video drivers problems.

I've an ATI Mobile Radeon 5730 w/Intel Core i7 720QM on my laptop. I tried AMD's autodetect drivers app, it didn't work. So I looked up what I should DL. And it gave me these:

http://support.amd.c...=Windows 7 - 64

Welp, I know from a problem a few years ago that Crimson Edition does NOT work on my PC, but I stupidly tried it anyway. Didn't work. I tried removing, restarting, and replacing. Nope. 

I now have the right drivers, but I need to do a clean install to put them on. (I don't have the right screen resolution available, sleep mode stopped working as a result, and I cannot extend my desktop to my TV w/my HDMI cable.) 
So this is their clean install: https://community.am...m/thread/180667

The AMD Install Manager it shows? Yeah, that doesn't exist. There's an UNINSTALL manager, and it doesn't look anything like what's shown there.

I DL'd the DDU uninstaller the site mentions, but I'm uncertain what to do about the Uninstall Manager, and I'm not clear on how to actually install the new drivers, since they didn't work the first time.

If you've time, and any ideas, I'd love some more tips if you've got any. 

Thanks as always!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,036 posts
Hey there, Phill! I thought you gave up on this thread!

Never given up on a thread yet but running my own business sometimes needs to take priority and can unexpectedly keep me away from the forums.

The driver should be downloaded and installed as per the Dell instructions here and not from AMD, the installation steps are also explained at the same link.

As you have not downloaded the correct video driver from Dell it is entirely possible that you have not installed the other Dell drivers and software in the correct order, if you don`t you can have all sorts of problems, Dell drivers installation order information here (you may want to print and keep the info).

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Thanks yet again.

Yeah, I did do everything in order, the video drivers SEEMED to open and execute correctly. I had the page open on my phone as I did them to ensure it. But when I rebooted, there was no Catalyst Control Center -- which is something that comes w/those drivers -- nor could I find the right resolution option. So it clearly didn't execute correctly (weirdly, when I tried my DVD of the video drivers a German page came up, not English. And it wouldn't give me the option to change the language...but I was at the Dell site anyway, to DL the other [updated] drivers...).

Anyway, after that, I FIRST removed the drivers DL'd from Dell and then tried the Crimson thing mentioned above. The "two drivers" the Dell says are in the executable, I actually have separately. I had requested them from AMD sometime back. But, OK, I'll uninstall them, I'll use the driver link and try again with a clean install. ugh.

Is your business PC repair or something else?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,036 posts

I always install drivers where possible in Safe Mode without Networking as it reduces the chance of conflicts.

Is your business PC repair or something else?

One of each, health and safety advisor being the other.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

OK, Phill! I reinstalled the drivers. Turns out I apparently DID do it right. There's yet something else at play here.

My sleep mode and 2nd monitor option (via HDMI) are still not working. But the drivers are there. 

SOoo. Now what? When I Google these issues, I see lots of things about resetting the BIOs. 

And cool about the other stuff you do. I'm a copy editor (I make sure people's words read correctly).

Oh, and thanks for the mirroring app. I've questions, but will wait until we resolve the Sleep Mode/2nd monitor thing. 

BTW: re: Windows Updates: Contacted MS. They said they're aware that the updates are having problems. They had a tech call me today, and on Tuesday another tech will reach out to me b/c we had to "escalate the issue." 

-PBot

Edited by Phlegmbot, 31 July 2016 - 04:36 PM.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

P.S. my resolution is at its highest, and it looks better than it would w/OUT the drivers, but it's not correct -- everything is stretched horizontally. And no matter what I choose, it's stretched that way.

EDIT:

P.P.S. OK, I don't know if it's a Windows update problem or a driver problem, but I'm having an issue w/the video. Essentially, if I'm at YouTube, or any other video site, and I open more than a couple of tabs, the computer SLOWWWWS down. This happened a lot when I first got the PC, so I am going to reach out again to AMD. I think they resolved it then. Hopefully between them and MS calling me on Tuesday, it'll be resolved. If you have ideas in the meanwhile, please advise.

Edited by Phlegmbot, 31 July 2016 - 11:16 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,036 posts

Wow, things don`t seem to be changing for the better  :(

The only thing that I would be tempted to do while waiting on Microsoft and/or AMD is to try running the Windows AIO tool, I can`t see it helping with the video resolution but it may with the hibernation issue.

NB: The AMD CCC software has been known to be problematic over the years and so much so that many people do not bother installing it.

Phlegmbot

Phlegmbot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Hi, Phill!

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to you. I didn't try the AIO tool b/c I suspected the sleep issue was connected to the problem w/my video drivers -- and it was. AMD pointed out that while the drivers were extracting, they were not actually loading. So I had to execute them manually. 

I got in touch w/MS about the Windows Updates problem. Here's what they said: Due to changes to updates thanks to Windows 10, Win 7 users are encountering problems with updates. This usually occurs due to incorrect installation of OS and/or drivers.

So, basically, much like MS did with Vista, they neglected to consider the earlier end user who still has Win7 and they pushed Win 10 onto people too soon.

Anyway, they got on the phone w/me and helped me resolve it. Which took about an hour or two over 3 days. But, just so you know for future reference: Any Win7 user having Windows Update problems should just contact Microsoft. They give free Windows support, and their techs were really helpful...and the techs are just now figuring out how to resolve the issue, which is why none of the usual fixes online work.

Thanks again, man! And good luck with everything

-PBot