Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Won't Turn On

• Please log in to reply

Curtis Allison

Curtis Allison

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a HP Pavilion 6553 running Windows 98, My monitor is a Pavilion M50, My computer works fine but the modem does not turn on! Does anyone know what the solution is?

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi Curtis Allison,

Wow!

A nearly 20 year old operating system and an equally venerable computer if my data sheets are correct.

You must be an enthusiast to be running such equipment, so please  share with us the following:

1 exact specifications of your computer. CPU RAM Mobo etc

2 the exact make and model number of your modem

3 Is the modem external or internal?

4 Method of connecting to the Internet.... dial up, broadband..adsl, cable, or dare I say it..accoustic coupler?

5 When did the modem fail to start?

6 Have you tried a different modem..and cabling? what was the result?

7 What were you using the computer for immediately prior to the modem failing?

8 What error messages are you receiving? please provide screen dumps or photos of them so we can see what's going on

9 What anti virus protections are you running and how do you keep them updated?

Post back and one of us will do our best to help

Regards

paws

Curtis Allison

Curtis Allison

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
My CPU is a Intel celeron, RAM is 524 MB, My system number is D7492A and is a HP Pavilion 6553. It's a external modem. I didn't have internet on it. It just started not to start yesterday. I tried switching things but no start. But I was using it and got a BSOD and then it started failing. The screenshot belows shows the error the PC shows. It acts like it don't recognize my modem is plugged in. My antivirus software is Macafe V-Scan virus scan. I update it every week.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160629_111104.jpg

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi ,Thanks for the extra information , but you have missed some out!!!

also your screen shot is not terribly good..can you try again please and also supply answers to;

2.4.5.6.7 & 9 in my previous post ( how do you keep it updated?)

Regards

paws