Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't turn on unless I unplug it and plug it in again

pc power supply

• Please log in to reply

mario1001

mario1001

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I just got a Dell Studio xps from my uncle and it won't turn on unless I unplug and plug it in again.When I do that It goes on without me having to press the power button.When I held the power button down to see if it would shut down it wouldn't.I don't know if it's the power supply or the power button ..I Have the side paneloff and all the fans are working properly.

Edited by mario1001, 29 June 2016 - 05:56 PM.

Advertisements

mario1001

mario1001

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

*crickets*

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:    mario1001,

From the info in your OP it does sound like a flaky case switch, one way of checking this is to disconnect the case switch from the motherboard and then short out the + and - pins on the MB to see if it activates the PSU.

Can you post the model name and number of the motherboard for us so we can do some research.

NB: Not sure what to make of your second post  :headscratch:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Not heard back from you mario1001, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.