Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 will not boot on Asus

• Please log in to reply

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Pip
  • 8 posts

I have searched the internet for days trying to find a solution to this problem of mine. I have not been able to get my Asus to boot. All I know is as follows:

-Booting into BIOS works, it recognizes the hard drive like normal. 

-The F9 recovery trick on Asus laptops does not work

-I used Ubuntu from a bootable USB to try and repair, but I couldn't get it to recognize hard drive

-I used Puppy Linux, and it allowed me to mount the drive and I was able to recover all files

-Attempted to recover with a bootable Windows 7 USB but get this... Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:  1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next." 3. Click "Repair your computer." File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe  Status: 0xc0000001  Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

-It is a 500GB Hitachi SATA drive

-I am currently downloading Linux Mint to see if it will recognize the hard dive

Is there anyone that has any suggestions on what I could do to get this working again? I am fine with wiping it as I have already recovered all my files. I know it would be easier just to buy a new hard drive and start fresh but I would like to see if I can salvage this. It is not that old and I am sure it is just a small amount of bad sectors. Thank you in advance! 

Edit: I also used the most recent version of Rufus to make these bootables.

Edited by thedrew023, 29 June 2016 - 11:25 AM.

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hello thedrew023,

Could you please describe what exactly "Windows 7 will not boot up means"? Please describe what exactly happens when you try to boot the PC, what message do you get? From what you have posted i see that winload.exe is corrupted. This is the Windows Bootloader. Please tell me what version of Windows you were running. For example, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate etc. and if it was 32 or 64 bit.

Please do the following: Right after you press the power button on your PC to boot it up, start pressing the F8 key repeatedly very fast. An advanced boot options menu should appear. When it does, please use the arrow keys to select Repair your computer. The PC should boot into Recovery Environment and display the system recovery options menu. Please select Startup Repair from it. Reply back with the result. Also, have you made any recent changes to the PC, or installed/uninstalled drivers or some programs?

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hello thedrew023,

Could you please describe what exactly "Windows 7 will not boot up means"? Please describe what exactly happens when you try to boot the PC, what message do you get? From what you have posted i see that winload.exe is corrupted. This is the Windows Bootloader. Please tell me what version of Windows you were running. For example, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Ultimate etc. and if it was 32 or 64 bit.

Please do the following: Right after you press the power button on your PC to boot it up, start pressing the F8 key repeatedly very fast. An advanced boot options menu should appear. When it does, please use the arrow keys to select Repair your computer. The PC should boot into Recovery Environment and display the system recovery options menu. Please select Startup Repair from it. Reply back with the result. Also, have you made any recent changes to the PC, or installed/uninstalled drivers or some programs?

Windows would not load via the bootable USB that I have made. It is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, SP1. I have now gotten the bootable USB to load but now I am having issues reinstalling Windows. It keeps getting stuck at the installing updates portion.I already wiped the previous installation that was corrupted so the F8 will not work. Prior to that I already attempted the startup repair, and it said it was not repairable. I get the message reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media when I hit F8 now. I went into the repair my computer portion of the installation and ran chkdsk and everything seems to be working correctly hard dive wise. Maybe it is a bad bootable USB?  I am going to attempt to install Linux on the hard drive if I can get it to work. It wouldnt recognize my hard drive in Ubuntu so I am trying Mint.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Ok, so your only chance now is to make a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Let's try to create the boot USB again. Please make sure that the drive is at least 4 GBs in size. The best bet is to use a new USB that was never been used prior to this. Format it FAT32 file system and 4096 bytes allocation size.

Now, please download Windows 7 ISO from HERE. Please note that this ISO is the english version of Windows 7, if you need another language by default to install tell me. That link will expire in 24 hours from the time i posted this, so please use it as soon as possible. You still need a valid genuine key to activate it.

NEXT

Download WIndows USB/DVD download tool from HERE/. Use it to burn the downloaded ISO to the already formatted USB.

Try to clean install again and reply with the results.

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Ok, so your only chance now is to make a clean install of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Let's try to create the boot USB again. Please make sure that the drive is at least 4 GBs in size. The best bet is to use a new USB that was never been used prior to this. Format it FAT32 file system and 4096 bytes allocation size.

Now, please download Windows 7 ISO from HERE. Please note that this ISO is the english version of Windows 7, if you need another language by default to install tell me. That link will expire in 24 hours from the time i posted this, so please use it as soon as possible. You still need a valid genuine key to activate it.

NEXT

Download WIndows USB/DVD download tool from HERE/. Use it to burn the downloaded ISO to the already formatted USB.

Try to clean install again and reply with the results.

Alright, I did everything just as you describe. It got past expanding windows files and then gave me this error: Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Do you have an SSD drive?. Was your previous drive encrypted? Do you have UEFI or BIOS? Do you have a hard disk test utility built into your UEFI/BIOS? If yes, then please run it. I believe this is a file system error or a problem with your hard disk.

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Do you have an SSD drive?. Was your previous drive encrypted? Do you have UEFI or BIOS? Do you have a hard disk test utility built into your UEFI/BIOS? If yes, then please run it. I believe this is a file system error or a problem with your hard disk.

It is a SATA drive, no it was not encrypted. I have a BIOS and can boot into it. I see the option to configure the boot to do a UEFI boot. 

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
What is the exact make and model of your PC? Not only the series, but the exact model.

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

What is the exact make and model of your PC? Not only the series, but the exact model.

It is an Asus, Model K53E It has some sort of check number which is 3448.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hi and sorry for the delay. :)

Have you changed any settings in your BIOS?

Please boot again into your BIOS, and tell me if your BIOS supports UEFI Boot Mode? Restore your BIOS to optimized defaults (usually F9 for ASUS). Now review all of the screens inside your BIOS and tell me what of the following options you see and to what options they are set (after reverting to optimized defaults) - UEFI, CSM (compatibility support mode), FastBoot.

Advertisements

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Are you comfortable with wiping all of your partitions? Have you backed up all of your important data?

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I will reset the optimized defaults for the BIOS. Apologize for the delay, I was on vacation for the 4th. I am comfortable with wiping it all, all my data is backed up. There is one partition hat is about 25GB that I wouldnt like to touch, as it is in ASUS and it may contain data for it? I know ASUS has something special with that partition unless I am mistaken. I will reset BIOS to default and try again, will update with results.

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

UEFI, and PXE rom are both disabled. I do not see CSM or Fast Boot.

thedrew023

thedrew023

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

When I try to install Windows now, it tells me that it cannot locate a valid harddrive. All the partitions show up at the initial installation screen where you choose what partition to install it on.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
So if you have UEFI boot and you are able to make clean install then we'll install Windows in UEFI mode but first we'll have to run something before the clean install. I will post again later.

Edited by MystiqueWolf, 06 July 2016 - 11:45 AM.