Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Inspiron 530 desktop rapid power on/off

motherboard hard drive switch

• Please log in to reply

geno368

geno368

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I have been trying to trouble shoot the Windows 7 system which would not boot.  I immediately checked the PS with a tool I have and also did the wire short test (black/green wire on connector)  It showed to be good.  I then re-seated the 2- 1gb ram modules..still nothing...It will power up the fans and sometimes give me a single beep and then it dies.  I push the power switch...nothing.  I unplugged the power and pushed in the switch for 1 minute and it does the same power on as I mentioned above. I then looked for bulging caps...none.  I then installed a new PS with same results.  I then removed the heat sink and processor and cleaned and re-installed new thermal compound...now, it powers up and off repeatedly every 2 to 3 seconds.  Cmos batt is 3.15v

I forgot to mention when I installed the new 430 PS, it allowed me to go into bios to check some settings and then loaded the OS and I started running Malwarebytes scan.  I came back to my office 2 hours later and it was dead again.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

You might want to redo the thermal paste.  It sounds like it is now getting too hot and shutting down in self defense.  Could you have installed the fan backwards or left it unplugged?  Is it turning now when you power up?

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Thanks for your reply....I think you may have hit the nail on the head.  I added more arctic silver and it was not responsive until I shorted the on/off switch. It booted fine and I am doing a sfc scan now.   I wonder if the switch is bad?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP

Sounds like it.

geno368

geno368

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

I am going to order a switch and if it is fixed I will mark as solved...Thanks again for the prompt help