Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC won't come back from sleep, fan blows very fast

• Please log in to reply

philbert2501

philbert2501

• PipPip
  • 35 posts

Not long ago, I received help solving a problem relating to trying to install a graphics card. We finally got it figured out, but two or three times since then I've had the following problem: I try to wake my computer up from sleep, and instead of coming back on normally, I get nothing on the screen and a fan can be heard blowing very loudly, much more loudly than during normal operation (this also occurred during the previous graphics card issue, but was more consistent). I shut it off by holding the power button, try to power it up again, and the fan blows loudly and there's nothing on the screen again. The most recent occurrence was just a few minutes ago, and after going through this a couple of times and then waiting a couple of minutes, it started up correctly. I seem to remember something similar happening a year or more ago, but never happened again until now. 

The computer is a prebuilt HP h8-1380t. I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Hello philbert2501,

The fact that this also happened with Windows 7 before Windows 10 makes it less likely (but not impossible) to be a problem with the OS.

Can I ask what drivers you have installed since upgrading to Windows 10, HP suggests end users check through Windows update, does not list any of their own and do not guarantee that any Windows 10 drivers obtained through Windows update will work.

philbert2501

philbert2501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

The only driver I've installed since the upgrade to Windows 10 is the one for my Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS, the card I ended up using. The install file I downloaded from Nvidia says it's version 341.95, and device manager properties lists the driver version as 9.18.13.4195.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Run SlimDrivers (free) from here, allow the program to scan your computer to check for any missing or out of date drivers.

Please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service that may be offered at the link and be sure to uncheck the SlimCleaner free download box.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Not heard back from you philbert2501, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.