Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is Java still a security risk?

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Let's see if that is really what MS says it is:

Right click on My Computer and select Manage and then Device Manager then View, Show Hidden Drivers.  Now look in the right pane for yellow flagged devices.  Right click on one and select properties then click on the Details tab.  Change Property to Hardware IDs.  Click on the top one then right click and copy.  Paste that into a reply.  Repeat for all yellow flagged devices.

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Couldn't right click and copy that so here's 2 pictures...

That's the only flagged one with 'Hidden Drivers' included.

Have a few questions....first one....

What do you recommend for disk cleanup please?

I used to use CCleaner, but last few times I tried to the screen went black, same when I uninstalled and reinstalled it, even with a later version? So I just use Windows one now.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

The unknown is the support button so just right click on it and Disable.  Unlikely to be of much use these days anyway.

I don't really like CCleaner - it's too aggressive and removes stuff that shouldn't be removed.  Best to stay away from it and any registry cleaners.

The Windows Disk cleanup is good enough.  If you use IE you can run JRT once in a while.  It removes the IE temp folders.  XP does not do a defrag on its own.  Best to do it manually once in a while.

You may want to use IE to go to the catalog and search for XP3 and see how many updates they have for XP3.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you for advising me.

I have disabled the support button in Device Manager.

I won't use CCleaner again.

Haven't used any cleaners since the repair installations.

I do defrag and run chkdsk every so often.

What do you think of this please? >>

http://www.majorgeek...unofficial.html

I am very interested in computers and have an inquisitive mind....

Curious about the hard drive and S.M.A.R.T. analysis / attributes. My computer's all show as 'Good' in Speccy scan, but then I read here in a topic about 'Raw Value' being important?

Had my computer a long time, can't expect much, but would you kindly look at this please (Speccy scan attached). I removed the serial number, as previously advised.

Attached File  Speccy scan results 3 9 2016 post XP SP3 repair installation 2.txt   35.88KB   164 downloads

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I don't know anything about the SP4 from Major Geeks but probably wouldn't hurt to try it.  It's a good site.

Speccy says you have a Seagate drive.  They are notorious for being short lived.  Your S.M. A..R.T. shows lots of read and seek errors  in the Raw Values so I wouldn't trust it.  

You have a
  • Seagate
  • ST340823A
  • Internal ATA / IDE
  • 5400 RPM
  • 40GB

So it's pretty small.  IDE drives are obsolete so getting harder to find new ones so probably best to get a new larger one now while they are still available and clone it.  You need a desktop (3.5") IDE drive of at least the same size but the bigger the better.   Just stay away from Seagate.

Looking at your RAM it is PC800-45.  Another obsolete product.  You only have 256 MB.  (2 x 128)  XP works best with 1 GB.  Amazon still carries them but you can probably get them cheaper on ebay.  You have two slots free so you can just add 500 to one slot and have 750 which would probably be good enough.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

In addition to the above:  Speccy cannot tell your CPU's temp.  Perhaps it is too old.  Most XP's have heatsinks that are clogged with dust.  This causes them to overheat.  Yours may need cleaning.  Perhaps speedfan can detect the temps:

speedfan

Download, save and Install it  then run it.

Be careful if you clean it.  You will need to remove the fan but not the heatsink (or you will need to replace the termal paste).  I just use a small brush and a vaccum cleaner hose to clean the dust.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Really appreciate you having taken the time to look into that for me and advise accordingly.

Important that I am aware of this, but wouldn't know where to start with cloning the hard drive other than buying what you suggested, would need to look into how to do this.

Could read and seek errors be linked to insufficient RAM or the previously broken operating system?

Oh I should have made clearer earlier, sorry.....I have already recently bought the memory from a very helpful US seller, was about to go into more detail, that was my next question.

Samsung Rambus PC800-45 1GB Kit - 2 x 512MB - new condition (hope you think all looks ok):

http://www.ebay.co.u...=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Planned to take out what I have and then put that in, can go up to 2GB, but this should suffice for my needs.

I have never installed memory before, never worked inside a computer, so very apprehensive about this particularly as a Dell advisor previously told me that memory upgrade could cause motherboard failure due to the age of the computer! A tech here thought that was alarmist though. Dell will want computer users to focus on buying new computers not upgrading old I think, but what are your thoughts on this please?

If there's a high risk of losing my computer I'd rather not take it.

I couldn't use SpeedFan - received an 'Illegal Instruction' error (please see picture below).

Regarding: "Most XP's have heatsinks that are clogged with dust."

I don't know what heatsinks are / look like - need to find a picture.

Edited by scarlet.rose, 04 September 2016 - 06:51 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I've never heard of the age of a PC preventing you from upgrading the RAM tho the retainers may get a bit a bit stiff so it might be possible to break one if you were trying to remove RAM.

You have 4 memory slots and only two of them are in use.  To minimize the chance of doing something wrong just install your new RAM in the empty slots and leave the existing memory where it is.  First shut the PC down but do not unplug it from the wall.  This will leave the case grounded but there are no dangerous voltages.  Open it up and identify the two empty slots.  If you do not have a wrist ground strap make sure to touch the PC metal to discharge any static electricity before touching the new RAM.  (Never touch the gold pins.  Handle it by the edges.).  Open the package and get out one.  Note there are two notches on the bottom where the pins are.  These are to keep you from installing it the wrong way and also to prevent you from inserting the wrong RAM.  Use a flashlight to inspect the sockets to see if you can see where the corresponding breaks are.  Usually you can go by how the old RAM is installed.  (You can unplug the wall plug now if you like just to make sure there are no voltages on the motherboard.)   There are two retainers, one on each side of the socket.  Carefully tilt them to the outside.  Insert the RAM the correct way.  It will take some effort to seat them completely.  The retainers should automatically move back to the upright position as you insert the RAM.  The retainers will fit into the notches on the each side of the RAM when correctly inserted.  

Power up the PC and go into the BIOS Setup.  Verify that it sees the new RAM.  SAVE and Exit then boot into Windows. Go into My Computer, System Properties and verify that it sees the new RAM.  I would also run a RAM test at this time to verify that the new RAM is good.  http://www.memtest.org/

Try version 4.51 of Speedtest.  I think 4.52 has a problem.

http://filehippo.com...speedfan/60186/

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thank you very much for all the very helpful information! That's a good idea, I will do that. The less I interfere the better and the original RDRAM will be as it was if there is a problem with the new.

I have bought an Anti-Static Grounding Wrist Strap Band. I need to buy a flashlight - hadn't thought of that. Plan to carry the work out on a wooden chair with vinyl seat cover if ok?

Don't know when I will attempt this, have some preparing to do, but I will of course report back to you afterwards.

Just want to run this by you, this is what the Dell advisor previously said to do if I go ahead:

"Please note: You may use either ECC or non ECC module on the system. Memory must be installed in matched pairs for the system to post. Memory module capacity can be different as long as you have matched pairs of RIMM modules. It is preferred that the first slot of each channel be populated first by RIMM modules. This pair of sockets is located next to the processor.

Lastly, I see you have notified that you would be using 4 x 256MB RDRAM in the system. As per the limitations, you can install up to 2GB with matching modules."

SpeedFan is up and running, please see picture. The screen went black momentarily after I clicked on it, is that normal?

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Appears even speedfan can't check your temps.  Older systems did not have the temp sensors so I guess we are out of luck.

As long as your wrist strap is grounded to a real ground it down't matter what you sit on though vinyl can generate static  (The PC case is only grounded as long as it is plugged into the wall)  It's still warm outside so static isn't really that bad this time of year.  It's worst when you are in a heated room in the winter.

Interesting about the ecc & non-ecc being OK.  Never heard that before.

While you have it open, look at the fan and see if you can figure out how it comes off.  Seems like Dell used a trick with little rubber bumpers.  If I remember correctly there were 4 screws but they actually held the heatsink to the CPU so you did not want to remove them.  If you do take the fan off note which side was up so you can put it back the same way.

Advertisements

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Well we tried.....didn't know there was more than one temperature that needs to be checked.

Regarding: "First shut the PC down but do not unplug it from the wall.  This will leave the case grounded but there are no dangerous voltages."

I will need to move the computer case out of the table it's on and onto a chair, the power lead may not be long enough. Is it too risky to unplug it at this stage, should I buy an extension lead?

I plan to clip the Anti-Static Grounding Wrist Strap Band onto the metal case of the computer.

"While you have it open, look at the fan and see if you can figure out how it comes off." Ok, will do.

Yes....the Dell Dimension 8100 was sold with both ECC and NON-ECC memory modules based on supply. That was one reason why they asked for my service tag, so they could see which one was shipped, but they could also tell by the date it was purchased.

Despite my computer being well out of warranty, motherboard failure alarm aside, I found Dell to be very helpful the few times I needed their advice.

Regarding MemTest......don't quite understand:  

"MemTest86 boots from a USB flash drive or CD

If UEFI is not supported on the system, the older v4 BIOS version is booted.

?

MemTest86 can boot from a CD, USB flash drive or, with Linux systems, by the boot loader (for example, LILO or Grub). Any Windows, Linux or Mac system may be used to create the CD or USB flash drive. Once a MemTest86 boot disk has been created, it may be used on any x86 (PC/Mac) computer."

"Create a bootable USB Flash drive:

Download the Windows MemTest86 USB image.
    Right click on the downloaded file and select the "Extract to Here� option. This places the USB image and imaging tool into the current folder.
    Run the included imageUSB tool, it should already have the image file selected and you just need to choose which connected USB drive to turn into a bootable drive. Note that this will erase all data on the drive."

Not familiar with 'bootable USB Flash drive'. So I place image file into an empty USB Flash drive to turn it into a bootable drive, leave it in, turn computer off, power it on then MemTest boots instead of Windows....is that what happens?

Edited by scarlet.rose, 05 September 2016 - 08:44 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Newer PCs have temp sensors for the CPU and for the video chip and sometimes even more.

Clipping the anti-static band to the case of the PC will not do much if the PC is not plugged in as it won't be grounded.  I hate for you to have to buy more stuff.  Is there a radiator or cold water pipe nearby that you could connect it too?  

UEFI  is new with Windows 8 so you will be using the older stuff.

Yes but I think you have to save the download to your PC as they say and then run the imageUSB tool with the USB plugged in.  The tool will put the correct files on your USB.  Then shut down and boot from the USB.  Memtest will load instead of windows.  You may have to change the boot order in the CMOS/BIOS setup so that it looks at the USB first.

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Thanks for explaining, I understand now about MemTest. I did catch the part about saving the download to my PC, but failed to relay that back to you.

I realise the need to be careful about static electricity, but know little of the grounding part.

Glad I checked this out with you.

What do you think of anti static gloves please? I was looking into buying an anti static mat a while ago.

Regarding: "I hate for you to have to buy more stuff.  Is there a radiator or cold water pipe nearby that you could connect it too?"

Unfortunately no there isn't, we have warm air central heating, no radiators. Cold water pipes are in other rooms.

I don't mind buying more stuff, I need peace of mind. Having a computer is very important to me. Want to do this as best I can - learn beforehand and be properly prepared. Have to admit I've almost bottled out a few times though (not sure if you use that expression in the US)....if you were my local technician, I'd be handing the computer over to you!  :)   

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I'd try the memtest before adding memory so that you know it works and what to expect.

Static is really not that bad during the summer.  Just turn off the AC & open the window and it will be so muggy that static doesn't have a chance.  I don't think you need anti-static gloves or a mat for a single job.  I've added a lot of memory without the wrist strap but I always just touched the case first and never touched the pins.  Don't slide stuff over carpet. 

scarlet.rose

scarlet.rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Ok will do. :)

Edited by scarlet.rose, 05 September 2016 - 05:12 PM.