Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SP2 download problems

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Have just reinstalled XP PRO after having some bug problems and during ms updates decided to download SP2 as i had it installed prior to re formatting .
on the 2 occassions i have tried to download, i have failed. the download actually completes, and just as it is about to finish i get a pop up telling me that i am not running a valid version of xp and sp2 cannot be installed. a report this to microsoft also appears. I would like to run sp2 as i have used it before with no problems and am reasonably familiar with its workings. WHAT IS GOING WRONG ???
:tazz: ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED, THANKS.
KEV.

Advertisements

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
*Please go http://www.howtotell.com ]here[/URL] (Microsoft website) using Internet Explorer ( not Firefox or any other browser as they won't work)
*Click on "Windows Validation Assistant"
*Click on the "Validate Now" button.
*Be patient while the ActiveX loads, do not click on any links.
*Read the instructions on this page while it's loading. You will be prompted to install - click YES.
*Enter your product key then click "continue"
*When it says "Validation Complete" please click "Continue to return to your previous activity"
Copy what it says in this thread

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunatly, i have been told by how to tell that my copy of xp pro is not a valid copy. starting to get confused now ???
i have downloaded the sp2 before when i first installed xp. never had any probs with validation key or anything before.
any ideas where i go from here ??? :tazz:

Guest_usetobe_*

Guest_usetobe_*
When SP2 was first released, MS didn't require verification.

While we understand that you may not have been aware, your copy of Windows is not legitimate. Unfortunately, we are unable to help you any further on this site, as we have a strict policy we adhere to in only helping people who have legitmate copies of Windows. Thank you for understanding.