Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W7 Ultimate PC "randomly" shuts down

Best Answer dar124 , 25 August 2016 - 06:48 AM

I've had no luck with getting this PC to boot.  The fans run, but the OS never loads.  I'm thinking that there were more serious issues than just the PSU problems that I was having.... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

dar124

dar124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

A week or so ago I got my RMA'd CX500 PSU from Corsair and along the way I also picked up a larger CX750.  Figured that if I was going to go thru the trouble of installing a new PSU, I'd get a larger one just to make sure I have enough power going forward!!!  And now I have a brand new CX500 as a backup.  Everything has been running good since.  No shut downs at all!!!  But the processors do seem to run at a fairly high % even with minimal use.  I have an intel sidebar gadget running so I can see the 4 processors %'s and also the ram %.  They seem to stay around 75% - 85% most of the time and then will jump up to 100%, drop back down into the 70%'s and then back up again.  I wouldn't think that the %'s should constantly be that high??

I'm sure this isn't related to the PSU at all, but just something that I noticed over the past few days (also I'm pretty sure it was like this prior to my PSU issues).  I ran a Malwarebytes scan to make sure everything is clean and it came back with -0- items found.

I will run SIW this evening and post back with screen shots of the results.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Good to hear the PSU is sorted :thumbsup: .   Will watch for the SIW.

dar124

dar124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

So I went home yesterday, powered my PC on and it wont load windows.  The PC lights come on and the fans spin up, but then the front lights go off and it does nothing.  I tried to power it up a couple of times, even completely disconnected it from all power, but still the same issues.  This PC is giving my all kinds of problems.

I'm gonna disconnect it from my desk upstairs, take it downstairs again and look at it in the next couple of days.  I'll report back when I have more info on whatever is causing these issues now!!!   Ahhhhh!!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Sorry to hear that you are again having problems.

but then the front lights go off 

Which lights dar124.

dar124

dar124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Which lights dar124.

This HP motherboard is in an aftermarket Cooler Master case.  So I'm pretty sure that the lights I have connected are the "power" and "HD activity" lights.  They both come on for 5 or so seconds and then shut off.  The fans continue to run, but the OS never loads.  I let it sit there for at least 45 seconds and the HP splash screen / Windows logo, etc never came up.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

As the computer is not completely shutting down it does not point towards the new PSU and may suggest that the problem lays elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that the lights I have connected are the "power" and "HD activity" lights.  

HDD activity LED yes but not sure about the power LED.

Quick checks for you to do include;

Try another screen or at least check that yours is securely connected (Finger tighten only).

Open and close the optical drive/s to see if they work and if they cause any LED/s to flicker.

Randomly tap the keys on the keyboard to see if that causes any LED/s to blink.

Trying  to determine if this could be a screen or video card issue atm.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Check the connections to the OS drive, if a spinner, place your finger on the closed side of it, can you feel vibrations.

Restart the computer, can you enter the UEFI ( BIOS) is it displayed?. 

dar124

dar124

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
✓  Best Answer

I've had no luck with getting this PC to boot.  The fans run, but the OS never loads.  I'm thinking that there were more serious issues than just the PSU problems that I was having.

Prior to this the CPU's would run around 60-70% at idle, it always ran really hot (which I think workstation's do) and it also had some lag when doing multiple tasks, which I wouldn't think would happen with a dual CPU workstation. And of course this most recently this issue with the PSU.

So, I think that I've had enough tinkering with it and (more importantly) explaining to the wife why the PC doesn't work as smooth as it should. So I'm in the process of switching out that HP desktop and to a Lenovo Thinkcentre m93p tower desktop that I had sitting around. I figured it's a newer PC, it wasn't pieced together like the HP workstation.

And of course thru this process I'm having an issue with one of the HD's that I'm trying to transfer data from.  But I'll start another thread for that since it's from a totally different PC.  Thanks for all your assistance up to now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

I know just how you feel,  :bashhead:   :smashcomp:

If you decide to have another go later, you have the OS installation CD for the machine, happen you could try installing a cleaned unformatted drive and attempt a fresh OS install.   Actually even a Linux one will do, just to test the hardware.