Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there A Difference (Resolved).

Best Answer phillpower2 , 16 July 2016 - 05:11 AM

Thanks John   Good news, you do not need to upgrade the processor as you have an i5-6500 CPU and not as post in your reply #3 an i3 6100T, your actual CPU specs here  ... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

John Moore

John Moore

• Pip
  • 4 posts

I recently purchased an alienware alpha r2, and didn't see that you could change the graphics card. Is there a big difference between a AMD Radeon™ R9 M470X GPU with 2 GB GDDR5 & a NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX960 GPU 4GB GDDR5

Will the AMD Radeon be able to run Witcher 3 without any problems, or am I up a creek without a paddle?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

:welcome:   John Moore,

Not sure if an error on Dells behalf as the M470X also has 4GB of VRAM, see here Dell specs here

In answer to your question, the GTX 960 is the better option but comes at a fair bit more cash than the R9, both are capable of running the Witcher 3 but how well will depend on what CPU you have, the recommended CPU is either an Intel i7 3770 3.4 GHz / AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz or minimum an Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz / AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940.

John Moore

John Moore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i3 6100T (3MB Cache, up to 3.2 GHz) 1 619-AHCQ Windows 10 Home (64bit) English 1 321-BCCU Alienware Alpha R2 with HDMI Cable 1 490-BDCU AMD Radeon™ R9 M470X GPU with 2 GB DDR5 1 370-ACOB 16GB DDR4 at 2133MHz - 1 DIMM 1 400-AMVX 500 GB (64MB Cache) 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s

These are the other specs! Are they good enough? Also thank you very much! So happy I found this place

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Unfortunately the CPU is not up to the specs required for Witcher 3, the i3 6100T has only two cores whereas a quad core CPU is required, the game may play but badly + you could experience overheating.

Sorry that it is not better news but you are welcome in any event.

John Moore

John Moore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Is my current system able to be upgraded considering how small it is? and thank you so much for the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Apologies for the delay getting back to you, other commitments are taking up my time at the moment. 

Download then run Speccy (free) and post the resultant url for us, details here,  this will provide us with information about your present hardware and BIOS version.

John Moore

John Moore

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

https://i.gyazo.com/...cbfb84cc801.pngIt's no problem at all! Ty for helping me! I don't have much knowledge in this situation.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
✓  Best Answer

Thanks John  :thumbsup:

Good news, you do not need to upgrade the processor as you have an i5-6500 CPU and not as post in your reply #3 an i3 6100T, your actual CPU specs here 

I noted the following statement on the Dell Alienware homepage, the important bits I have highlighted in red;

The Witcher 3 at 60FPS? Yep, the Alienware Alpha can do that. With an ultra-small form factor, NVIDIA GTX 960 GPU graphics powering high-end gaming,

Please expect to get lower FPS with the R9 M470X as it is not referenced to have the same capabilities by Dell Alienware.

You are welcome btw  :)

trakanon

trakanon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I would say the i3 is about the same or slightly better than the i5 by clock speed, Can't base things purely on core count. the i3-6100t is very underrated because it is dual core but this cpu model has hyper threading technology so it will mimic a quad core at a higher clock speed when you are playing the witcher. it will also cost less and be more energy efficient if you care about that sort of stuff.