Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Windows XP on a newer computer

• Please log in to reply

Jpnpsnplz

Jpnpsnplz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I'd like to install Windows XP on my newish notebook (an Acer Extensa 2511G, Intel Pentium 3805U), but I haven't had much luck. When I get past the text only installation part of the CD, it finishes running through all the driver checks, then blue screens right after with a "BIOS is not ACPI compliant" error. Whether I bypass this or not with F7 it doesn't matter, because it either blue screens with the ACPI error or with a generic blue screen and never gets to the partitioning stage.

I have my Legacy BIOS running, and I've tried installing from the original XP disk, a copy, and with a USB flash drive version, but none have done the trick. I've also tried slipstreaming some SATA drivers into the CDs and flash drive, but every time I ask it to install third party SATA drivers with F6, it says that it can't find anything then asks me to insert a floppy disk.

Any ideas on what I can do? Hope I provided enough info.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Hi and welcome to our forums.

:welcome:

As you have found installing Win XP on a new(ish) machine can sometimes prove problematic.... it is possible but involves a lot of work and you can end up with an operating system that is vulnerable to attack, and unsafe to use (unless totally isolated from other sources of data and of course isolated from the Internet)..... some of these issues can can be ameliorated, to a certain extent, by an experienced operator and modified standard operating procedures. However as said.. it does involve a lot of work.

Some suggestions for you:( in no particular order!)

1 Use a VM, but you will still need to exercise great caution

2 Install XP on an older machine ( there are masses of them around! (clearly labelled to that effect to stop folks inadvertently connecting to the internet or using a flash drive, CD/DVD or external data source on it)

3 Use a "live" (PE version)  running from a CD/DVD (but watch the licensing conditions to ensure you remain legal)

4 Persevere with your newish machine using the correct BIOS settings and installing SATA drivers ( not easy but possible with work!... a floppy drive works best!)

Good luck

regards

paws