Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hp 845c printer on Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

dabjones

dabjones

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I went online to the HP site and downloaded software for 845c hp printer. Download completed, started going through install process and get message that the printer can not be found. I followed instructions re: screen prompts while connecting etc. but repeatedly get can't find message. Please help. Called Hp 800 number and they wanted $30 for help since printer is out of warranty!
Thanks

Advertisements

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Hi dabjones, Welcome to GTG !!
Is the printer connected with parallel or USB cable??
Is the printer on?? (It happens)
Has this printer worked before??
Have you shutdown the pc, disconnected the cable, connected the cable and rebooted??
If you downloaded the drivers they also may need to be unzipped to a folder as well !!

dabjones

dabjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, thanks for your quick reply. The printer is connected with a USB cable. I can print a test page on printer, so I know IT works. Have tried reconnecting and rebooting also. There is now a folder on my desktop entitled 845-enu-win and another titled 845 printer assistant. When I open the first, it starts through the installation process and then says can't find printer, check cables etc. Any more suggestions? I'll try anything. How do I unzip to a folder if it's not already?

Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 940 posts
Sorry it took so long!!
Lets try this:
Uninstall/delete printer and software for printer
Shut down printer
Reboot
Turn printer on and Reinstall driver and software

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Just a quick inquiry here, but are you connecting the HP to the system via USB BEFORE you installed the software and drivers??

Murray

dabjones

dabjones

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey Murray, thanks for any help I can get. In answer to the question about connection, the HP printer was not connected via USB prior to installation, only connected it when instructed to do so during installation procedure. I will now try uninstalling and reinstall as you suggested. Thanks. Please hang in there with me.
dabjones

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Just a quick addendum here but, after the printer is finished installing, make sure you go into the Ports Seting in the Properties menu of the printer and make sure it is using the USB port..

Murray