Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Booting Issues after SP2 Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

domer

domer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
After ADMINCASH problems, I had viruses removed, ran Norton Wipe to clean as much as possible off disk, then re-installed Windows XP home from CD. Installed Norton AV from disk, then installed SBC DSL. Went to MS website and downloaded updates except SP2. Everything worked fine to this point. Then installed SP2 from the disk. When system re-booted it went directly to gray screen, white lettering and said to boot into safe mode. System won't boot normally.

Uninstalled SP2 and system works almost normally, but some residual slowness (or imaginary :tazz: )

This is the second time I've tried to install SP2 with same result.

I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe MB with Promise 20378 controller
Socket 939 AMD 64 chip - 3200+
Seagate 120GB SATA drive hooked into SATA port or MB
BIOS set for RAID with Promise and Fastrack Controller drives loaded

No hardware issues noted in Device Manager

Any suggestions would be helpful

Advertisements

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
MAY be some system files are not configuring well ..

try to upgrade from the site directly

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
This is the second time I tried to install SP2. The first time was directly from MS site. When I installed it from MS site, the computer went into continuous boot circle. As soon as the BIOS boot was done, the Windows welcome screen would flash up momentarily and then go right back to the the start of the boot cycle.

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, I just ran into same problem... I have the same system as the OP, except A8V (not deluxe) and a WD 160 SATA HDD. And instead of booting to safe mode, it just doesnt boot.

Took me forever to get it running in the first place, had to use latest Sata drivers from Asus website during install.

Everything was working fine, then I tried to install SP2.

Rebooting after install, I get just passed the Windows splash screen, and then a blue screen, I dont have the exact details of the message (at work now) but states to remove any new hardware (which there is none since original install)

I think it has something to do with the Sata HDD, but not 100%

Edited by Nethius, 16 June 2005 - 11:40 AM.

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Bumping up, as I may have found a solution

the sweet and simple, update the BIOS

Link to Asus Downloads - here

Found the info here

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that would have been my guess as well...is it working now?

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
dont know... still at work

going to try when i get home, but i dont have much time tonight, but i will post tonight or tomorrow if it works

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
okay, i need more floppy disks before i can do this... I only have one right now, and it has my drivers for me sata drive

will post when i try it....

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow, don't try that... I updated to the latest BIOS, and then got checksum errors, and system wouldn't boot.

Had to recover old BIOS from CD (hit ALT+F2 during boot with MB disc in CDRom)

back to square one....

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I downloaded and installed the latest non-beta BIOS for my MB - ASUS A8V Deluxe. It was delivered in March with v.1008. I updated using the boot menu (alt + F2) to v.1013 and had no problems re-booting. Next step tonight is to try and load SP2 again.

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i think i may have messed up the upate the first time through. I did manage to update mine successfully. For the A8V it's version 0207. I used the Asus update utility on the disk.

But I tried to install SP2 again, and I still got the same error. Let us know if you have any luck

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

I downloaded and installed the latest non-beta BIOS for my MB - ASUS A8V Deluxe.  It was delivered in March with v.1008.  I updated using the boot menu (alt + F2) to v.1013 and had no problems re-booting.  Next step tonight is to try and load SP2 again.

View Post

Any luck?

Nethius

Nethius

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay this worked for me!

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxSP2.htm

Data Execution Prevention prevents complete booting or shutting down
The new DEP (Data Execution Prevention) technology (see special chapter on DEP below for background information) can cause a blue screen stop error with incompatible drivers. If your computer runs on an AMD Athlon 64, AMD Sempron (mobile), AMD Opteron, or Intel Itanium processor, you may want to disable hardware DEP for a test.

To disable DEP, you have to make a change to the BOOT.INI file in the root of the partition from which the computer boots. To get Windows to run, your only choice is now safe mode. To boot into safe mode, press F8 a few times after the BIOS has finished its booting and Windows begins to load. Once you have booted into safe mode, use these steps:

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties.
Click on the Advanced tab.
Click on the third button—settings for system start options.
Click on the Edit button to edit the boot.ini file.
Carefully edit the /NoExecute=OptIn string and change it to AlwaysOff. This part at the end of the line should now read: /NoExecute=AlwaysOff
Save and close the dialog boxes by clicking on OK.

Edited by Nethius, 20 June 2005 - 07:21 PM.

domer

domer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I updated the BIOS the re-loaded SP2. That seemed to do the trick as far as getting SP2 to run. Now there are other hardware conflict issues it appears, mostly video related. I have an ATI Radeon 9250 AGP card. Not sure how to troubleshoot the hardware conflicts. Device Manager says it is working OK, but I get display freezes, VPU Resets - saying Graphics Accelerator no longer repsonding. I set hardware acceleration for all devices to none. Now I sometimes get a message that Rendering is not available?? Not sure about updating Radeon driver. The one available on Mad Dog Multimedia site is a number lower that the one my computer says is running.

Looking for a roadmap through this blizzard.

tury

tury

• Pip
  • 1 posts
THANKS!!!!!

Just tried installing SP2 on my machine and got this problem, except im using an Abit AX8.

It would only get to welcome screen before, then reboot, so i downloaded a bios update, and it would sort of boot to desktop, then get a blue screen anyway.

So i tried what nethius said, and it worked!!!! ;)

Guess i got done over by both issues... ;)

Thanks a lot guys, i was almost going to uninstall :tazz: