Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New hard drive, how I activate my XP?

• Please log in to reply

Zixe

Zixe

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, I got a Windows XP CD for christmas awhile ago and I installed it onto my old hard drive and such, works fine. But now I got a new hard drive and I installed it but it says my windows is activated and it cant activated on my new hard drive now.

How do I unactivate it from my old hard drive so I can install it onto my new hard drive?

Edited by Zixe, 16 June 2005 - 11:57 AM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you cannot....choose activate by phone, you will get an 800 number to call.

Tell them that your old harddrive crashed and you needed to install a new one and they will give you a new activation code after asking you several questions

Zixe

Zixe

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ugh no wonder people just download it.

:tazz:

NEW FEATURE: unactivate

::emails to microsoft::

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
actually, MOVE activation would be a great feature.

There is a method for retaining/restoring activation that is widely spread on the Interent, but it DOES NOT WORK--this method is based on a misconception of the original method and intent of a windows xp repair.

One guy got it wrong, and now there are a million people posting it as a restore activation method that very few have ever tried.

This is why the Internet stinks....to paraphrase an old freedom of the press witicism.....any fool with a printing press....