Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Smitfraud problem

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there! I think I mis-posted this at first in Windows 98 forum so I moved it here. I have a laptop running Windows 98 as our extra computer for the family room area (on a wireless network). My husband was surfing the net last night and was infected with trojan-spy.html.smitfraud.c. It had the black box with the "WARNING" message and all that superimposed over our desktop. I came online and found a great resource page here and went through the steps suggested, ran virus scan (had to do the Trend Micro one because I could not install AVG for some reason, nothing found though), downloaded lots of utilities the post said to, etc. I went to run HJT again to post the log file for further help. When I tried to open the log file, the computer froze. I tried to ctl alt del to close out whatever was not responding, nothing worked. I turned the computer off by doing another ctl alt del and now it will not even come back on, nothing.

HELP!! Did I kill it??

Thanks so much.