Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do you think of this build for a gaming pc?

• Please log in to reply

FedExPope

FedExPope

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Here is the list so far:

Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Venice

Video Card: XFX PVT45GUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8

Memory: pqi TURBO 1GB SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) (x2 - 2 gigs total)

Power Supply - ?

Case - ?

Hard Drive - ?

What should I add as far as the stuff that I left out and what should I change about what I've already listed? I'd like to stay as close to $1,000-$1200 as possible.

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I would go for at least a 450 watt power supply, a fairly large hard drive (they're cheap as [bleep] these days) like a 120 or 200 GB, maybe even seting up a RAID Array. Now so far as the case, I would recommend looking for one at either http://www.xpcgear.com or http://www.xoxide.com both places have an excellent selection of sweet looking cases for a decent price. Keep in mind though, makes sure to look at weather the case comes with its own power supply, making sure you dont buy both a case that comes with a PS and a seperate PS!

--Chris

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Skip Asus. THey make good Intel boards, but are a little sketchy with their AMD boards. Try GIG or Epox. Not sure if they make NF-4 ultra SLis though.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You want to take a good look at the abit fatality sli board, the specs are excellent and comes with good extras including an exclelent fan monitor/cpu controller. It is not an expensive board either it aint the cheapest but it isnt the most expensive either.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
I agree with hacp, skip Asus for the mobo. You planning on OCing this box? I've heard some issues with that as well. For the Asus board at least.

I'd go above 450 watt psu. If you're running an SLI board and going to OC. And then, if you put in a active cooling system, then you might need the extra juice. I recommend TurboCool, they make great psu's.

As for a case, hit Coolermaster. They make sturdy boxes with great aesthetics. I have a WaveMaster and it is beautiful, and it lasts. I beat the crap out of that thing (I have a small room for my system, and I use it as a shelf when I need to.). I'd put in 2 HDD's. Like a 74GB raptor and a 120 GB storage drive. The RAID array is a good idea, but I find it more expensive. Plus, w/ 2 HDD's, if one goes, you're still safe.

FedExPope

FedExPope

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks very much for the replies.

So how about this?

Case: Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA

PSU: Thermaltake PurePower W0023R ATX 560W Power Supply 115/230

Mobo: ABIT FATAL1TY AN8 Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra

Video Card: XFX PVT45GUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI-Express x16

RAM: CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory (2 gigs)

HD: Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 6Y120M0 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150

Soundcard: CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8 (7.1)

...plus dvd and cd burners

Total: $1,574

I would like to add another hard drive although my budget is pretty much maxed as it is. Could I change the cpu or video card to save some money or would I be sacrificing too much performance? Also whats the difference between the different geforce cards...What is XFX?

Thanks!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can go down on the cpu and clock it up the speed your gettin pretty easy. XFX is a company that makes good gfx cards. Get the SLi fatality board the price difference is small and you get a uguru panel with it as well as some other nicer things its better value for money. Dont get four sticks of ram as you will get a drop in the speed you get out of the ram to ddr333.
You dont need another sound card if you are going fatality really especially if you decide to get the sli one. Get the 160gig maxtor 10 drive its better and not that much more. And keep the graphics card the same its a good one.

General Agony

General Agony

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Here is the list so far:
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Video Card: XFX PVT45GUDF3 Geforce 6800GT 256MB

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS SB0350 8

Memory: pqi TURBO 1GB SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) (x2 - 2 gigs total) 

Power Supply - ?

Case - ?

Hard Drive - ?
What should I add as far as the stuff that I left out and what should I change about what I've already listed?  I'd like to stay as close to $1,000-$1200 as possible.

View Post

that's a good pc but dude u dont need the sound card.. im guessing u didnt know that MOBO u chose alrdy has a stock 8 channel sound card in it. get an SATA drive (ur comp can take advantage of that kind of drive not to mencion it's aout $10 cheaper for some reason :tazz:. u'll b find with a 500W power supply. or atleast u should b.. and i recommend this case b.c it comes with the power supply u need and i personally like it: http://www.tigerdire...2&Sku=A107-3000
(sorry for the long URL)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont get cases with power supplies they are generic rubbish that case has a god generic psu but you can buy better ones and the case is ridiculusly overpriced as well its cheap plastic and is very noisy by all accounts.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Yeah, go with something from a high-class aluminum or stainless. Come on, we all sit on our boxes at least once, or put stuff on it. Plastic is also harder to mod.

The psu you'll get for that combo job is going to be lowend, whatever they can throw in there. I mean, if you want to use a $25 PSU made from an old beer can, then thats up to you, but if you want nothing to get fried, and a good warranty, go with a big name brand. Check out VooDoo, or Falcon NW, and see if they use a bargain box. Not a chance.

Advertisements

twotoes

twotoes

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
i would go for this motherboard instead.

http://www.mwave.com...riteria=BA21275

General Agony

General Agony

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Dont get cases with power supplies they are generic rubbish that case has a god generic psu but you can buy better ones and the case is ridiculusly overpriced as well its cheap plastic and is very noisy by all accounts.

View Post

it isnt actually all that noisy i use it and so does my dad (dont ask) but still with both running full speed on fans and with an older econo comp running it isnt lound in my computer room by any means.

Edited by General Agony, 22 June 2005 - 09:16 AM.

MULDIS

MULDIS

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
twotoes spot on can't bet that mobo
i was torn between the asus AN8 (having always used asus for all my p4 machines) and the dfi NF4 SLI, i went with the dfi and have never looked back.
i'am running a amd64 3500 with a gig of ram and it runs so sweet.

yes at a cost of £140 it seens alot for a mobo but well worth it..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont know about that it doesnt have many good reveiws, DFI boards really need to be overclocked before they can shine and not everyone wants to do that. ABIT and MSI boards stomp on DFI boards in every review i have read.

The fatality is by far the best motherboard in the market (The sli one) and the vanila NF4 ultra comes in a close second with the MSI nf4 ultra.

MULDIS

MULDIS

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
last months kustom mag in the uk rated the dfi mobo second in there sli mobo ratings this was only beaten by the asus AN8 due to price,

i can't wait to get my hands on there upcoming intel sli mobo