Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What do you think of this build for a gaming pc?

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Are you thinkin Intel then you are right dfi is good, however we are talkin AMD in which case you should maybe switch to a better pc rag.

Advertisements

twotoes

twotoes

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
how is the dfi not good without overclocking? i dont understand lol.

all the reviews i read on it were good. basically the same as the msi for the most part. i never read anywhere where they claimed the dfi wasnt as good performance wise out of the box as the msi.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I read at least three that said it, i think hexus had a review that said that but it was a couple of weeks ago i cant remeber which site it was on.

FedExPope

FedExPope

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Scott, which one of these video cards would you get?

ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

or

XFX Geforce 6800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The 6800GT purely for the fact it has pixel shader 3 and such at the higher end of the mid range nvidia is better.
XFX also are a good brand with an excellent bundle and nice lookin cards.
The 6800s will be droppin in price a little with the 7800s oh my how fabulous they are i only wish i could afford a 7800, imagine doom3 running on one holy [bleep] level of gfx.

Edited by warriorscot, 23 June 2005 - 10:06 AM.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
*goes to get new shorts*

That would be sweet...money is always in the way. I hate that.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah knowing our luck they wont drop prices just make the things more bloody expensive to start with.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
No, things'll get cheaper, but better things will be out. We can wait to buy nice stuff, but then it's junk. Lol...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Oh you havent read the news from nvidia they have decided to keep the prices of 6800s the same and just make the 7800 more expensive on release the only way the prices will drop is sellers making room for 7800s in there catalogues.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Well, that may be the case for the short-term, but in a year the price will be down. The 7800s will be obsolete. That's what I was getting at.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Aye quite true mind you the r5xx cores look to be nice up to 42 pipes *Kaks his breeks in excitement* and the same price as the 7800GTX nvidia are goin down this year, crossfire will be the nail in nvidias coffin especially if they can get it to work on a SLi board.

1nfection

1nfection

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
It's fasinating to watch the market fluctuate. Localized knowledge for everyone!

I really want an SLI board, but I am a stingy consumer. I find that part value is inversly porportional to the amount of $$$ in a fellow geeks wallet.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ywah would love an Sli board even though im not buying nvidia the borads just come with better goodies, like good sound onboard the msi one has a audigy sound card integrated into it.