Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Stupid questions about AVG

• Please log in to reply

Oppiano Licario

Oppiano Licario

• Pip
  • 2 posts
OK everyone pls indulge me. I am new to all this. My old comp died 2 months ago during a move. It was most likely a physical problem (video board conked out?) but the guy who took on the repair decided to rehaul the whole thing. So where I used to have 32K RAM, 2 Gigs, Windows 95, I am now running on XP, 256K, 4 Gigs, DSL with all sorts of addtl features (DVD player, CD burning etc)

But life has also gotten complicated. In 5+ yrs of owning the comp (bought second-hand from a friend circa 2000), I have never had a virus. Or at least I was blissfully unaware of viruses. Never had any problems I know of that were virus-generated. Got plenty of pop-ups but I always assumed that they came with the territory. Now, within 2 weeks of getting the "new" computer, I am under siege.

The repair guy had put in an AVG software in upon my request and it has apparently been doing its regular scanning-bec I get alerts every so often. First of all, I find those alerts (small pop-up boxes) quite annoying-specially since they can't really be clicked away. Then I realize that my virus vault is packed with meanies (all Trojan Horses)-I have a dozen and a half or so of them now with names like Trojan Horse Startpage.21.AR, Agent.AG, Downloader.Generic.RU (and QG and YH) with diff files ending in exe (Poller.exe for ex) or dll. The "source" on all of these is "backup copy". They are all deemed "unhealable".

What am I supposed to do with these files-live with them for the rest of my life?

The info page for AVG is pretty skimpy and not always very clear.

I have also been under siege by the aurora virus. I installed adaware, spybot and the CWshredder this a.m. following the instructions of this forum. It seems to have taken care of the pop-ups (for now).

I am about to continue to the next step of tackling trojan horses-but the instructions say NOT to install more than one anti-virus program. Since I have AVG already, I suppose that means I shouldn't download any of the others listed. Is my AVG (updated already) enough?

I was told that the IE browser I am currently using is specially vulnerable to viruses. I am about to download aol 9.0 security edition to use as my main browser. Anyone have any insights on this? Should I wait until my trojan horses are completely wiped off before downloading the aol software?

Thanks again for your help and for indulging my dumb newbie questions.

Advertisements