Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updates Casused Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

onethumb

onethumb

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My husband installed the ME windows updates and a new driver on a friends computer and now it will only start in safe mode. normal takes me to a black screen.

System restore does not have an option. i uninstalled the updates and driver.

i need to get the data off of it. how can i either fix the probelm or network in safe mode?

HELP!!!

Edited by onethumb, 16 June 2005 - 01:08 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you should be able to start up in last known good configuration by pressing f8 during boot.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I'm going to make a wild guess here and assume that your hubby installed the wrong drivers for the display adaptor and in safe mode the computer uses the default drivers, so it works then. The display adaptor will be near the video connection, it may be a large integrated circuit or it may be a whole plug in card. If you right click on My Computer, choose Device Manager and click on display adaptor it should tell you what model the display adaptor is. If it has a yellow question mark it means that it isn't working right. You may need to open the case, look at the card or circuit to find the model number of the adaptor and download the right drivers from the mfrs web site. Most of the popular adaptors are well supported by the mfrs and you can get the drivers.

BTW, something we always like to know is what make and model is the computer? :tazz: