Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

quick pci question...

• Please log in to reply

nesster

nesster

• Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, i want a new video card, but am running sdram memory on comp, would really love a 128 card...is there a card that is 128 sdram pci?i have been searching on newegg and on price watcher...can not seem to find one anywhere. but one would think that there has to be one available, and if it does exist - what would you recommend?

Edited by nesster, 16 June 2005 - 02:15 PM.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You should be able to run any of these cards

Rick

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
of those cards doby listed, I would suggest you go for the fx5200 series (many manufacturers listed there). it can support directX9, which is the current standard. that means you will be able to support the newer games, etc.

nesster

nesster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
how is the windows sp2 a video card? i am very lost here...and now i have suddenly developed a really severe problem.

first - i did not add new hardware or anything...
there are lines coming thru the background? to the windows i am working in...thru the desktop image, lines everywhere and it is an invasion. when i scroll up or sometimes move the mouse over an area, i can "erase" the lines temporarly. i changed my pic to 600x800 from i dunno...1048x whatever it was, that helped enough to "erase"the lines, caus i couldnt do that before. is there a suggestion for this new problem? as far as video cards, everquest is the game i play...they REQUIRE a 64 card just to run, what are these other cards? when i clicked on the link, took me where i was at in newegg, but what does that mean? i can order anything that is 128 pci? even the double data rate when my memory is sdram?

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
on your current video problem-
did simething happen to start this? change any settings, install anything, etc.
have you tried a reboot of the machine yet?

on the video card question-
the ram on the card is for the card only to use, so no worries about compatibility. the game loads images and textures, etc into the ram on the card, which allows it to be drawn on the screen very quickly when it is needed.
you can choose any of those cards you saw on newegg, and it should work no problem.

let us know how the current video problem is!

nesster

nesster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok, this is interesting...

the problem originated when i went to load the online game everquest...was already installed on comp, had run it before, but changed its mind somewhere along the way. well, very very late last night (being tired and desperate), i said heck with it. checked the everquest compatible DRIVERS, knowing that they dont support my cards. well, uninstaled my current driver - that fixed the lines alone. suddenly the screen was clear. then went to ATI website from everquestlive site, followed a link for rage pro 128 (not the video card i have by the way), and hit download. now the only problem that i have with anything at all on the computer is that when i am playing my game...its lagged out. but ok till i get a new graphics card altogether.

kind of interesting i thought. figured i would share this with everyone, just in case someone else had same problems. also want to add...

when i went to uninstall the drivers for my current video card, i could not use the add/remove hardware option that windows gives you. i had to right click on desktop, properties, advanced, then go into the drivers from that route.

if anyone has anything to add, i would love to hear it, cause its currently a mess in this comp for a couple more weeks, and well...its an interesting one (in my opinion anyways!)

thanks everyone for input. and thank you for graphics card info too...ppl are still telling me that i cant run a ddr card if i have sdram memory.