Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problems

• Please log in to reply

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
About two months ago I unplugged my iPod from the front-panel USB port on my computer. It made the usual Windows "thunk" sound that it always does when I unplug peripherals, but this time the "thunk" sound crackled, skipped and really just did not sound good.

Now I'm no fool and take reasonable care when plugging and unplugging things in, but it definitely did not like what I did.

Since then the sound crackles and is horribly distorted anytime I try and run anything on the computer. If I'm playing music and try and open Word, my internet browser, anything, the sound crackles, skips, distorts, etc. until the program has finished loading.

I've never had this problem on any computer before. Could it be related to the USB cord removal or something entirely different? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
dunno,

try removing the sound device from device manager, then reinstalling with uptodate drivers.

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for the tip. I don't know what device to uninstall or then how to reinstall it. I have no driver discs for any type of sound device for this computer. Nothing came with it. Next step? Thanks --

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://www.lavalys.c...p?pid=1&lang=en

download, install, save a report, attach it so we can look and guess along

Les1451

Les1451

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Click Start > Run type in dxdiag and press Enter.
A window will open giving details of your sound card and drivers installed.
You can ususally download new drivers from the sound card manufacturer that come with an installation program.
Whilst in dxdiag you can run tests on your sound device to determine if indeed that is the problem.

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
You guys rock. Here's the attached Lavalys report. Nice tool. It found a couple of problems, none of which I really know how to fix, of course. Thanks again

Attached Files

seamusoldfield

seamusoldfield

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Ran DxDiag and found no problems--thanks though. What else?