Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats Slowing down my Computer? (Stumped)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply

Xysaerv

Xysaerv

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, this question falls under mutiple categories on this forum and hopefully I posted this in the appropriate place.

*cough, clears throat*

I have been dealing with a slow Windows 10, 64 Bit Computer. (Asus - Model number: G751JMBHI7T25) - - I have been suspicious for months that I've had a virus - However, I've scanned with :

Avast, Adaware, Malware Bytes, Spybot search and destroy, webroot Internet security suite (own full version). I also have done rootkit and keylogger scan with Hijack this. And I have been 100% clean, every time for everything.

AND No, I don't use all these. I uninstalled everything but Webroot (which is primary security software) After intial scan results

In terms of maintenance, I :
* defrag weekly
* disk cleanup daily
* Done a memory check.
* Have all windows updates
* Manually went through all my drivers they are up to date, including video card.
* checked for unnecessary start up programs and services, nothing could disable.
* I optimize daily with Ccleaner
* Have optimized computer for best performance in Control Panel

Im stumped, do you know what could be causing a slow computer? Or am I being paranoid?

- PS: Keep in mind This process of elimination went on for months. In Addition, I did fix one problem I came across in which Internet Explorer was saving cache in wrong directory and Disk cleanup for some reason didnt catch it. This apparently was present since I bought computer and can only assume was a random bug considering hasnt happened since.

Advertisements

Marben

Marben

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Don't know exactly what's going on? I am also facing the same issue. Though myself using Windows 8.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,747 posts

Hello Xysaerv,

In terms of maintenance, I :
* defrag weekly

Unless you are a power user that swaps thousands of files around on a regular basis you should not defrag a HDD any more than once every couple of months, over doing it with defrags will shorten the life cycle of a HDD and actually create the very defragmentation that you are trying to avoid.

Brand name computers are known to have problems with upgrading to Windows 10 for some reason and more often than not a clean install of Windows 10 is the only way to resolve the issue/s.

To see if this is a Windows issue download then run the Windows All in One Repair (free)  from here, disregard the malware guidance but follow the other steps to the letter and in particular ensuring that you first create a new restore point and perform a proper Windows clean boot before running the repair, details for the clean boot here.