Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All Locked Up

• Please log in to reply

dustinwidner

dustinwidner

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have installed a couple different spyware blockers and removers on my laptop, but they have not seemed to work. When I start up IE, I can't even make it to my home page before it locks up and shows not responding. Smaller applications will open when not connected to the internet, but not large ones. It has rendered my laptop unusable. . . please help.

Advertisements

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
does the safe mode still work?
does the safe mode with networking still work?

i would start in safe mode and remove in the registry stuff that doesn't belong there. A lot will you find in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

good luck
after you removed stuff that doesn't belong there try again... or see if you canq update your virus software and or spy ware software from the safe mode with networking.

1. If the system is already turned off, power it on.

2. If the system is already on, shutdown the system normally, wait 30 seconds, then power it back on.

3. Begin tapping the F8 key every few seconds as the system boots up until the screen offering the Safe Mode option appears.

4. Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode or the safe mode with networking if you need your internet connection and press the Enter key.

good luck

dustinwidner

dustinwidner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I will open in safe mode. I don't know where to find the registy stuff. Once I do, how do I know what to remove?