Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Internet Connection Problem

• Please log in to reply

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

My internet connection seems to be kicking everyone off it whenever my roommate who's laptop is further away than my computer or my fathers computer is.I am thinking maybe my router is dying and trying to connect to a computer that is further away is putting more strain on it. Is that the case? Or is it just something with my roommates computer that cause the internet connection to crash? I have to keep power cycling my modem/router whenever this happens.

Edited by RebelGamer137, 13 July 2016 - 06:22 PM.

Advertisements

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

A useful check would be to change the SSID and password on your router/modem wap/switch ( if using a wireless connection) your roommates will not be able to use your network until you tell them them of the new credentials, but if it works faultlessly before you tell them, then it will be diagnostically significant.

Tell your rommmates but ask only one to connect  to see when the problem crops up again (if at all) if no probs after a 24 hour test then tell the next roommate etc... let us know how you get on and we will advise the next steps

Regards

paws

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

It worked fine whenever she is not on but when ever she tries to connect it kicks me and my father off the internet.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

What happened when you changed the SSID and the password?

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

What happened when you changed the SSID and the password?

I have not done that yet. But while my roommate is not attempting to use the internet my connection works fine.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

OK, let us know how you got on when you have finished

RebelGamer137

RebelGamer137

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

We just tried running CCleaner and clearing the cache and the registry of errors. See if that helps.

paws

paws

WTT Tech Teacher

• Tech Academy Moderator
  • 990 posts

Its not a good idea to run a Registry cleaner unless you know exactly what you are doing in the Registry....

Registry entries do not require "cleaning" as a rule and "cleaners" can do more harm than good... (  CC is fine for clearing up junk files, but its better to stay away totally from registry cleaners.