Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Win XP Pro to Delete Administrative Restrictions

• Please log in to reply

amstuart

amstuart

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Hi:

I took possession of a Dell desktop running Win XP Pro. There are numerous restrictions on the computer, including audio, use of USB and DVD drive (Administrator was concerned about employees copying proprietary information); inability to edit the Registry, and so forth. I have no need for any of the files on the computer. Will a clean install of Win XP Pro after wiping the hard drive eliminate these restrictions, or do the restrictions remain in place until removed with administrative rights?

Thank you.

Adam

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

If you make sure the HDD is properly wiped (full erase) then anything that was put within the old XP will be erase and installing a fresh new copy of XP will leave you with an XP without the old administrive rights unless you want to put new ones. 

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

If you make sure the HDD is properly wiped (full erase) then anything that was put within the old XP will be erase and installing a fresh new copy of XP will leave you with an XP without the old administrive rights unless you want to put new ones. 

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time.  I burned an ISO image of DBAN and am going to install a fresh copy of XP after wiping the drive.

Adam

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

Thank you very much. I appreciate your time.  I burned an ISO image of DBAN and am going to install a fresh copy of XP after wiping the drive.

It's not necessary to use a program like DBAN to clean the HDD and remove the system! Simply boot from the XP CD and during install select the option to delete the partitions on the disk then let windows create a new  partition and install.

124152337_d75f22de5c_o.jpg

amstuart

amstuart

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts

It's not necessary to use a program like DBAN to clean the HDD and remove the system! Simply boot from the XP CD and during install select the option to delete the partitions on the disk then let windows create a new  partition and install.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="" type="text/javascript">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window?window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)});var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/index.php?s=84b17023fe043a4a7724bf26c31555ad&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=363805&p=2571176&md5check=3acf7a4ab1bb88cc0cee8f5c76a719d0&isRte=1,zBX8hFeDQI,true,true,kf4gNAtCuI4');//]]></script> 124152337_d75f22de5c_o.jpg&&0

Hi:

Saw your post too late...already spent 8+ hours using DBAN. Spent another 12 hours restoring drivers and installing programs and <then> discovered that the Admin password in the BIOS Setup remained LOCKED. I was being asked to enter the Admin password in the Unlock Setup field. After a complete wipe and installation on a new partition, a new XP Pro installation remained with the Administrative restrictions. The immediate issue was that integrated audio was OFF and I could not change the settings in BIOS for the above reason. I downloaded the motherboard manual and reset  the Password (jumpers) and CMOS (jumpers) next to the battery. Corrected the Time and Date, rebooted, and all is good.

Wanted to pass on this information that the previous Administrator's BIOS lock remained AFTER a clean OS install.

Adam