Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

80GB MAXTOR...

• Please log in to reply

GreyMorningSkY

GreyMorningSkY

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I went into fdisk to create some partitions but when i went in there my 80gb hard drive is only reading 12gb only. And im not to sure what this could be. Could anyone help me? thank you

Advertisements

Deadringers

Deadringers

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
is there any other partions? or RAW Parts of the Drive? if there are then delete all partions and create a new partion of 80GB or what ever you wanted, this assuming you dont mind loosing stuff;)

GreyMorningSkY

GreyMorningSkY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no loosing stuff is alright. there seems to be no other partitions on it it just says C: primary blah blah 12gbs, i deleted that partition and try to create another one of 20 gbs and it says it wont let me because the maxium i can use is 12gbs. but when i load my computer and it says like amd 2400+ and dvd rom and everything it clearly says 80 gb hard drive :tazz: lol

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
could you list the model # of that drive? want to check out what maxtor has to say about it.
also look to see if there is a jumper which limits the drive size.
ah, heres you best bet. check your bios, make sure the primary IDE drive settings are on auto, so that it is making the full drive available.

you said this is your C drive- did you just replace it recently, or has it always been limited to 12 gigs?

GreyMorningSkY

GreyMorningSkY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
no i got this drive with my computer and just recently i decided to make another partition and noticed that it was limited to only 12 gbs.. the model type is.. MAXTOR 6Y080L0. Ill check the jumper right now, thanks for getting back to me so quickly :tazz:

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
did you create the new partition, or is it that its an 80gig drive that has always shown up as 12gigs?

GreyMorningSkY

GreyMorningSkY

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
when i installed windows xp pro i did create a primary partition but i just assumed that it was using the whole 80gigs.. the weird thing is it lets me use more than 12 gbs but just cant change it in fdisk

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
hmm, its been a while since I have done any work on partioning, cant say I remember as much as I wish I did at the moment.
you might need to use a program such as partition magic. I did a search, hoping to find a free version, and came up with this. they have a demo version of their super fdisk, which might work for you.
check it out, or do a search of your own, maybe you can find something by taking more time in the search than I did.

Redwontdo

Redwontdo

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
I use Ontrack "disk manager". It allows you to enable large drive support and use the whole drive. I see that it is a pay for utility now, the one I use was free a long time ago. It works great though.