Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

In need of assistance Finishing a gaming PC

• Please log in to reply

Its_Crisis

Its_Crisis

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
About 4 months ago I put together a build for my friend, and he finally wants to finish it but I don't have the build saved, we literally only have the graphics card and that is the Asus Strix OC/SC R9-390 8GB edition, we're looking to budget the rest of the build to a mid tier gaming PC, maybe a good i5 or a cheap i7 if anyone can help me finish this build with the rest of the build that would be great, under $600 CAD should be good, and it has to be on the Canadian market since import charges suck when ordering electronics from the US! If anyone can help that would be great, thank you, and also can anyone tell me what equipment/tools I need to actually build his computer, thanks!

I have found a possible cheap solution and have posted on a couple sites, this is an edit and just a possibility, sorry for the update, and if anyone can answer these questions below I could save a ton of money.

So before I start this is a very complex situation, so I'll try to explain it, building my friend a computer, the only parts we have is an Asus Strix SC r9-390 8GB edition, and I also have an old power supply, well new but not used, came with a purchase I made locally when I bought a PC, the power supply is a corsair CX600M (600wat)
http://www.corsair.c...ied-modular-psu

Here's where things get complicated, there is a guy selling a PC locally for $350 CAD, this is in Canada so it's a good price, here is the model
Hp pavillion 500-489 link below.
http://support.hp.co...ument/c04884772

That computer has some amazing parts compared to the i5 4690 I had chosen, as well as a available PCI slot for the card, but the power supply is only 300 watts, way too weak for a Asus r9-390 8Gb
My question, is the graphics card compatible with the computer linked above, as well as this power supply, if it is compatible but the power supply isn't, can anyone help me find a good power supply at a Canadian retailer, if anyone can help me this will save me a ton of money

Edited by Its_Crisis, 16 July 2016 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Hi again.

Looking first at the Pavilion.

MB, low end, HP specific supplied by Pegatrom, H87 Chipset so no overclocking and no upgrade to i5/i7 K as the TDP is Up to 84W.

Case, Length: 15.35 inches (think outside dimension) Asus GPU. length 11.8 " Inch, don't think it will fit, unless it clears any HDD cages.   Get the seller to measure from the I/O shield, along the PCIE slot to the HDD.

GPU, requires 1 x 8-pin, 1 x 6-pin

PSU, has 2 x 6+2 pin PCIe   Do you not think it compatible because of size?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

Gday.

Not heard from you for a while!!   What parts did you purchase?   Do you have a system up and running?   A update would be appreciatged.

Thanks.