Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive not working after Win10 update (Resolved).

- - - - -

Best Answer rigs , 07 August 2016 - 01:24 PM

sorry it took days to reply but I was down with health issues. Ok, check this out.............. Last friday, I checked the BIOS and the DVD/CD drive was not listed. So, yesterday bef... Go to the full post »

• Please log in to reply

rigs

rigs

• PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

I'm hoping someone can help me.....

I'm running a dell inspiron x64 w/win 10. last night I tried to watch a movie using my system's DVD drive but nothing happened. I checked connections, DVD disc and the drive itself but nothing helped. I then went to device manager and saw that my DVD/CD heading was not listed. So, somehow my DVD drivers has been deleted. I don't know how it happened but I think that installing the latest windows cumulative update might have something to do with it. Anyway, can somebody help getting my DVD drive working again.

Thank You

update 7/19/<<<< I did a system restore to a date before the Win10 update but I'm still with the problem.

Edited by rigs, 19 July 2016 - 02:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Hello rigs,

Sorry that you have waited longer than you would normally before receiving a reply to your OP  :(

Couple of questions if I may;

Have you previously watched movies on DVD on this computer while running Windows 10.

What version of Windows 10 are you running Home or Pro.

Which particular model of Dell Inspiron do you have.

I then went to device manager and saw that my DVD/CD heading was not listed. So, somehow my DVD drivers has been deleted.

Your drivers being deleted would not stop Windows from detecting and listing your DVD/CD in Device Manager, you should check the BIOS to see if the drive is listed there, if not it may suggest that the drive or something associated with it has failed.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

thank you for replying................

yes, I was able to watch dvds in windows 10.  my dell is an inspiron 3847 x64 Win10 home edition.

when I click device manager my dvd drive it's not listed.  however, wnen I click device manager/view/show hidden devices.  my dvd drive reappears then I right click "update driver software" the system tells me that "the best driver for this device is already installed" 

how do I check the BIOS?

thank you

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
when I click device manager my dvd drive it's not listed.  however, wnen I click device manager/view/show hidden devices.  my dvd drive reappears then I right click "update driver software" the system tells me that "the best driver for this device is already installed" 

Is the DVD drive listed by its brand name, lite-On or QSI as two examples.

Right click on the DVD drive in the "hidden devices" tab, select uninstall, shut down the computer, restart the computer to see if Windows detects and installs the DVD drive for you, if no luck, download and then run the Dell diagnostic tool, start here

how do I check the BIOS?

Leave this for now please.

Windows 10 Home Edition does not contain either Windows Media Centre or DVD Playback, can I ask what software you have been using to play your DVDs.

You are welcome btw  :)

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

ok, when I expanded dvd/cd drives.  the following was listed................

plds dvd+-rw dh-16aes

I right clicked and uninstalled the dvd/cd drive.  I restarted my pc but it did not detect and installed the drive.  the dvd/cd heading is not listed and dissapeared.from device manager and windows explorer/this pc.  I ran the dell diagnostics and according to it, everything passed.

I use daum potplayer to watch dvds and video files...

Thank You

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Windows 10 most likely does not have a specific driver for your optical drive and you may need to use an earlier version intended for Windows 7, first of all though make sure that the drive is detected by the BIOS, steps for this here if the device is detected in the BIOS try installing the appropriate Windows 7 32 or 64-bit drivers following the suggested steps by Dell here

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Not heard back from you rigs, do you still require assistance or is the issue now resolved, an update would be appreciated.

rigs

rigs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
✓  Best Answer

sorry it took days to reply but I was down with health issues.

Ok, check this out..............

Last friday, I checked the BIOS and the DVD/CD drive was not listed.

So, yesterday before doing the rest of your suggestions. I compared my device manager with my old dell inspiron's device manager that also runs Win10. I noticed that apart from missing the DVD/CD drive. I was missing the IDEATA/ATAPI controller/Intel® 8 series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHSI Controller. I then remembered that before noticing my DVD/CD driver being gone. I had updated the chipset controller using driver booster. So, I went to driver booster and looked for the chipset controller update and rolled it back. I restarted my PC and this time the system detected the drive and reinstalled all the drivers. Now, my DVD/CD player is functioning.

Thanks for your help and suggestion............

Edited by rigs, 07 August 2016 - 01:25 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts

Glad you got it sorted and thank you for letting us know.

Below is my canned regarding updating drivers and third party programs/junk software updating tools;

Avoid using any software that automatically updates your system.

Please note that drivers should never be updated unless it is to address a known issue, if a driver is installed needlessly you can end up creating the very issue that the updated driver was intended to correct, rolling back to the previous driver does not always work and waiting for the next driver update can take some time and may also not resolve the issue.

Where possible, always obtain drivers directly from the provider of your hardware/software and only use drivers or patches from third parties for older or no longer supported hardware/software.

** Same goes for the so called system tweaking tools that Iobit offers and registry cleaners in general, see the blog here for a detailed explanation.

I then remembered that before noticing my DVD/CD driver being gone. I had updated the chipset controller using driver booster. So, I went to driver booster and looked for the chipset controller update and rolled it back. I restarted my PC and this time the system detected the drive and reinstalled all the drivers. Now, my DVD/CD player is functioning.

** Driver booster was the cause of your troubles not a Windows 10 update, to avoid any repetition uninstall the Iobit junk.