Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help with Macrium Reflect

- - - - - Macrium Reflect Upgrade to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I'm gonna attempt the upgrade to Windows 10.  I have a few questions. I wanna make a disk image with Macrium Reflect. My external drive looks empty and OK in THIS PC, and COMPUTER MANAGEMENT.  In COMPUTER MANAGEMENT, it says, "Healthy (Primary Partition). But in MACRIUM REFLECT, the external drive looks FULL... and it says, "Unformatted Primary." Can anybody tell me what's happening here? I just formatted that disk!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

Open the Disk Manager, expand the Window to show the external drive and make a screenshot.

Please post the image it will be faster to discover what you need to do.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I don't know how to put a screenshot up on this forum.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

I don't know how to put a screenshot up on this forum.

Use the More Reply Options button on the bottom right of the post, attach the file.

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Although the external disk looks full in Macrium Reflect, I tried dragging a small text file into it and there was not problem.  But why does that disk look full?  I plan to put 30GB of data on it. 

This disk, (A 1TB "G-Drive," from G-TECHNOLOGY, owned by Western Digital), is for Mac, out of the box.  I reformatted it for Windows according to the company's instructions.  When I saw that the disk looked full, I reformatted it again but it still looks the same.  Attached File  MACRIUM REFLECT.pdf   785.1KB   598 downloads

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Hi,

What I see on the image is a 1TB drive from Hitachi with a partition that isn't formatted or is on a format not recognized by the Macrium Reflect PE!

Disconnect the external drive and click the refresh button, one drive should disappear and you get to know how the software name the drive.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
GogglePlex-GooglePlex, this is in connection with your other thread HERE, is that correct?

Goggleplex-Googleplex

Goggleplex-Googleplex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

I am the same person.  The Asperger from the other post.

I ejected the G-Drive and it did disappear.  When I refreshed, everything disappeared.  I refreshed again and everything but the G-Drive came back.  When I turned the G-Drive on again, it did not appear in Macrium.

In the instructions for reformatting the G-Drive, it said to use exFAT.  The other drives are NTFS.  Do you think I should reformat again and use NTFS?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

In the instructions for reformatting the G-Drive, it said to use exFAT.  The other drives are NTFS.  Do you think I should reformat again and use NTFS?

Yes, NTFS is the format recommended for an external HDD to use in Windows.

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Okay, SleepyDude will help you with your drive here, but when you both decide when you are ready here please come back to your other thread. ;)

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,975 posts

Okay, SleepyDude will help you with your drive here, but when you both decide when you are ready here please come back to your other thread. ;)

Doing a full backup is a safer way to make sure no data is lost and in case the Windows 10 upgrade goes wrong he can revert the situation more easily...

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
I agree. Please take a look at the other thread if you want. I just wanted to be sure that he would continue there cause i have to tell him some things. You can help him if you want. :)

RolandJS

RolandJS

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

I'm not familiar with the external hard-drive in question, does it have on-board/circuit-level encryption?

MystiqueWolf

MystiqueWolf

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Hello RolandJS,
This is an old thread, if you have a problem with your PC please start your very own new thread. :)