except use 220.127.116.11 as the primary.
Jump to content
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.Create Account How it Works
except use 18.104.22.168 as the primary.
I'm afraid I'm a dreadful novice- I'm really stuck with this- the instructions are too confusing for me.
OK. We can try something else.
First can you turn off your wireless? Looking back at minitoolbox I see that you have both Wireless and wired connected.
Control Panel, (View: Large Icons), Network & Sharing Center, Change Adapter Settings, right click on the Wireless Network Connection and Disable.
You should still have your wired connection which is usually much more reliable. To change the DNS server to 22.214.171.124
Copy the next line:
netsh interface ip set dns "Local Area Connection" static 126.96.36.199
Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Right click and Paste (or Edit then Paste) and the copied line should appear. Hit Enter.
Then see if you still get the same popups and such.
The wired and wireless connections are one and the same- I can plug it into my laptop via Ethernet cable or use it as wireless.
Ok I've changed the DNS as per the above instructions, and all is mostly the same. Main difference I can see so far is that the links to DNS unlocker that had begun appearing throughout my ebay feedbay have now disappeared, but I still can't use gumtree at all- as soon as I click the cursor into the search box I'm taken to another tab of rubbish.
That you notice a difference at all with DNS indicates that your router may be compromised. How do you connect to the Internet? Is there a separate cable modem & router or is it just one unit? What make & model? Can you log on to the router and check to see what DNS it is using and if it has any static routes?
My internet is a Huawei wifi cube, it plugs into a normal power point at one end and it can be used wirelessly or connected to laptop via an Ethernet cable. Its just one unit. The problems started though when I previously had a pocket wifi from the same provider. Similar setup but wireless only. How do I check the router please?
Open a browser and enter http://192.168.8.1in the address box.
ok I've opened the wifi cube thingy, the top menu I get is home/statistics/sms/update/settings. When I click on settings, the menu that comes up is quick setup/dial up/wlan/security/system. I've clicked on everything (without actually taking any action) and can't see DNS anywhere. Ugh!
Will try the secong thing now.
it's working!! Gumtree is working normally! This hasn't happened for months!
Right. No add-ons. That tells us that one of your usual add-ons is evil even tho they all look normal unless your router has hijacked google.com.
Since you don't have much in IE anyway the fastest way to go might be to just reset IE to the defaults. In IE, click on the gear icon in the upper right. Then Internet Options, Advanced, Reset.
Here you have the option of checking Delete Personal Settings before hitting the final Reset. This will wipe out all of your stored passwords so you might want to leave it unchecked the first time. If the problem still remains (after closing and restarting IE) then do it again with Delete Personal Settings checked. This will change your default search provider back to Bing. If it goes bad when you change it back to Google then we may have to look at the router again.
Alternatively you can try to isolate it down to the bad add-on. In IE, hit the gear icon, Manage Add-ons
then it should open at Toolbars and Extensions. Click on each you see in the right pane and Disable. Then restart IE and retry gumtree. If it still acts up, Gear, Manage Add-ons, Search Providers and click on and disable all. Then restart. If either fixes it then you can go back in and enable one at a time and restart until you locate the bad one.
Well to be a complete pain I'm now using chrome. Just as hateful as IE, but at least it works properly. I was having all sorts of trouble with ebay last night (but site-based I think, as I rang them this morning), plus IE has always been extremely slow to scroll, and doesn't save tabs or passwords, and everything has to be clicked on twice, so in complete frustration I downloaded chrome. But i had no add-ons on IE I don't think? Except that pop-up blocker that you said might help.
okay..sooo...I had 4 hours of chrome working normally this afternoon- I got 12 items listed on ebay, much more than I've been able to do these past few weeks. then I randomly clicked from selling manager pro to 'myebay' and BOOM popup/redirect nightmare- sent me to 'hongkong.chong' or similar. I couldn't click anything anywhere-nothing was working- so I did control/alt/delete, opened task manager/processes and couldn't see anything too weird so I closed that and logged off/logged on. Facebook has been unreliable on chrome though, (which is the same as on other browsers)- keeps telling me 'this site can't be reached.Facebook took too long to respond. Try checking the firewall or proxy'. It reappears after half an hour or so. Major pain as I'm in the process of moving listings from FB to ebay....
popup (i.e. new tab opening) again on chrome, this time on american ebay, when I clicked on purchase history from my ebay. Something about 'psx4'
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Community Forum Software by IP.Board
Licensed to: Geeks to Go, Inc.