Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

slow computer

• Please log in to reply

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I noticed the problem started when I switched from IE8 to IE10.

we also tried chrome and the problem is not there so I assume there is something associated with IE10 and flashplayer

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

What happened with IE11?  You said it didn't work?

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

flashplayer caused numerous problems including lockup. had to quit lots of programs with task manager

finally switched back to ie8 and it worked flawlessly until most programs quit supporting it and forced us to upgrade to ie10 or 11

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

IE depends on your video driver.  Possibly yours just isn't good enough.  Did you try watching the temps with speedfan?

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

I downloaded speedfan from the link you provided but when I tried to install it it said it wasn't compatable with my version of windows

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Try Version 4.51.  Appears 4.52 has a problem.  http://filehippo.com...speedfan/60186/

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

speedfan screenshot attached

and in the screenshot, some new icon popped  up on the desktop when I ran speedfan from the download, initdebug.

I tried to delete it but it says there is no path specified

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Apparently initdebug shows up sometimes after you install speedfan.  It's supposed to be removed during the install but sometimes it doesn't go away.  It's harmless.

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

what should I watch for as for temps with speedfan?  I guess I don't know what normal temps are supposed to be

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

Normal or at least usable is anything under 65 C.  If any of your temps go over that while watching a video or playing a game then expect problems.

I suppose it is also possible you may have a memory leak.  If you run Process Explorer

Save it to your desktop then run it (Vista or Win7+ - right click and Run As Administrator).  

and click on the column header for Working Set a few times you can sort them by biggest memory users.  Run your video or game and watch to see if one process moves up to the top and keeps increasing.  Also watch the Physical Usage down at the bottom.  See if it hits 100%

Advertisements

gregahoffman

gregahoffman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

well, it looks like a temperature problem

I attached a screenshot of speedfan after playing a game

any way to drop the temps? I recently replaced the fan and thermal paste

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture1.PNG

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP

I don't think it's that bad.  Switch it back to show degrees Centigrade.    That's what I'm used to seeing.

Speedfan automatically considers 50+ C to be hot but as long as they stay under 65 C under load there is usually no problem.