Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Recovery Manager

popped up on wifes laptop. Wh Popped up on wifes laptop

• Please log in to reply

redsox1

redsox1

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What should we do?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,750 posts

Hello redsox1,

Not enough information for us to go on I`m afraid, can you perhaps tell us what happened exactly and if the computer will still boot into Windows.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

It just popped up when she was shutting down. we had to shut off machine to get rid of it. It will start in Windows now, but don't know what caused it to come up. She was afraid she was going to lose everything.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi redsox1,

Did you read what the message said on the window that popped up? If she didn't click to open on accident, it might just be warning you that you haven't created the recovery discs. When the computer was purchased, did you create the recovery discs from the recovery manager? Mine did so till I created those discs.

To find out, click on the Start VISTAORB.jpg and see if Recovery Manager is listed in the Start Menu on the left side. If so click on that then in the far right column click on Recovery Disc creation found under I'd like to take precautions. If it is greyed out and unclickable that means the discs were created. You might also find Recovery Disc Creation there as well.

You can also find both in the following location as well:

Start VISTAORB.jpg > All Programs > Recovery Manager (folder) > Recovery Disc Creation

If the discs have already been created you will receive a message that they have, otherwise follow the instructions. You will be instructed on how many discs you will need to create the Recovery Discs.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts

Backup, Backup, Backup!

Either backup just the files you don't want to lose or do an image backup using Macrium Reflect Free (or similar) to an external hard drive or large flash drive.

A 1TB USB 3 external hard drive runs around $60 US.

redsox1

redsox1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

thank you all! Bought it used 4 or 5 years ago, so we'll back up what we can and go from there. THANKS again!!!!!