Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Soundcard Conflict

• Please log in to reply

dixdix

dixdix

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Relocate this if in the wrong place, not sure as it's not exactly hardware...

I'm using an Acer laptop with a M-Audio Firewire soundcard on top of the factory soundcard. ( I produce and record music). Problem is occasionally if I leave audio running and it goes to screensaver when I resume working the volume jumps to zero and I have to go to the volume control window to put it back up again. This is only using the external soundcard by the way, and I want to avoid disabling the screensaver if at all possible... I don't want to disable the on-board soundcard either as I like to use my laptop around the house without having to carry an extra box around, I only use the firewire for music production... Any ideas guys? I have th M-Audio set as the default, bot the in-built one if thats important, both for playback and recording.

Advertisements

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
is the screen saver a program of some sort, or do you have it just blank the screen?
Im suspecting the screensaver is loading something, thus screwing up your settings.

also, is it the windows volume properties getting turned down, or the firewire box control panel?
and which M audio box you using (strictly for own curiosity)

dixdix

dixdix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
M-Audio Solo Firewire. Yeh its a program, a Lords of Dogtown screensaver. Its the windows volume that resets, no the firewire box properties.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
any sounds in that screeensaver? there might be a setting set to mute sounds...
I would try a different screensaver, see if the problem continues. or just set it to blank the screen after 15 minutes or whatever.

let me know how it goes.