Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IS the alienware 17 r3 good?

• Please log in to reply

Krempop

Krempop

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I am okay the price and I travel alot so it needs to be a laptop. I also wont build my own. So is the alienware 17 r3 worth it. Its 980m and has a quad core intel 17. Will it be able to play modern games on high? Will it be good and play well for at least 2 years? Is there a direct upgrade in the 2300 price range?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts

:welcome:   Krempop,

So is the alienware 17 r3 worth it.

Maybe to some people but not to others, depends on how much use the computer will get.

Its 980m and has a quad core intel 17. 

How much RAM does the particular model have, 8GB or 16GB.

Will it be able to play modern games on high?

Let us know what particular games you intend playing and we can check what FPS to expect, can`t see it having any problems though.

Will it be good and play well for at least 2 years?

Hard to say as we do not know what system requirements for any new software or game are likely to be, with the CPU, GPU and 16GB of RAM spec version I would think that you will be all good for a couple of years though.

Is there a direct upgrade in the 2300 price range?

Hardware wise the only upgrade path atm is upping the 8GB of RAM version to 16GB, the screen to the 17.3" UHD (3840 x 2160) and on the same model again upgrading to the 1TB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) options.