Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop replacement laptop that stays cool

new laptop low heat light use windows

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Hello G2G community,

My parents have finally decided to replace their 17", 10 year old HP laptop and get a new one. A big problem they have had with it is heat issues, and having to use a cooling pad. So what I'm looking for is a laptop that would be able to run for a while (at least 1-2 hours) without needing a cooling pad. Im having a hard time finding a 17.3" Windows laptop under $1000 that stays cool and has consistently good reviews. Is there anything out there in that price range or should I be expecting them to pay more? If that is the only option, please let me know and I can tell them, as I think they would be happy to pay more for a laptop that didn't require a cooling pad after 30 min of use. 

They mostly use the laptop as a desktop replacement hence the bigger screen size, but they do standard stuff on there like email, YouTube, music, file storage (I would prefer for them to have at least 1TB storage) and word processing. So what do you guys think? What options are out there?

Thanks for the help!

-Hoopsman

Edited by hoopsman, 28 July 2016 - 12:54 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

A few questions before we can make any recommendations.  What do they mostly do with the laptop? Most desktop replacement notepbooks tend to be focused either for the professional or the gamer.  Knowing how it's going to be used will make substantial difference in what we my recommend.  A new laptop will perform substantially better than the 10 yr old laptop.  Battery life generally is about 7-8 hours on average and the screen quality will be significantly better.  In short just about everything will be a huge step up no matter which way you go.

First most laptop pricing is going to be the base price, from which you can add upgrades.  You will almost always want to upgrade something in the options.  For example either upgrading the memory or hdd.

based on general usage model, here are some recommendations.  Please provide some feedback.

Taken from this review:  http://www.pcmag.com...,2369981,00.asp

The Razor Stealth QHD - with ssd upgrade to 256 for 1149.00 USD.

Dell xps 15:  upgrade processor to the i5 and memory to 8gb for 1200 USD

Dell Inpriron 15 7000

http://thewirecutter...-laptop-so-far/

If you are willing to consider a 15.6" screen instead of 17 there are a lot more options available.

Thanks,

Starjax

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Thanks for the reply Starjax. They want to stick with a 17" screen, they need to have at least a 500GB HD, it NEEDS to be able to operate for a while without any cooling pads and I would say it is for professional use, not gaming. Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know.

Edit: They stated that they would be willing to go down to a 15.6" screen if its a great deal or something, but none of the laptops you recommended so far really grabbed me.

Edited by hoopsman, 28 July 2016 - 07:48 PM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts

Well I would look for a well rounded laptop.  Something between a budget system and a work/gaming system.  Certainly gives some more choices.  Best thing to do is go to the store and look at the models {best buy / fry's / microcenter / box store} has and see what they like.  They will have some models that are exclusive to the store but similar to what is available online.  Since the technology is so much better, a hands on experience might help in their decision. Back to school sales should be happening soon, so this would be a good time to buy a new laptop.

Based on what I would do, something like this system would be great:

http://www.dell.com/...-17-5759-laptop

or

http://store.hp.com/...5658&quantity=1

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Ok thanks!